• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I get 4.10s and LSD for my 7.5?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
You should be able to find a axle from a FX ranger that has a limited slip in the 4:10. You need to look for your axle in two places. 1st go to the world wide interweb and fire up you google search engine, type in Car-part.com. Search for a rear axle assy out of a 2003 Ranger with a 8.8 ring gear and 10" brakes and the gear ratio you want, like 4.10. I have read and been told that both the FX4 Level II and the FX4 without the level II are 31 spline with limited slip differentials, but the axle with Level II is a better limited slip.

By doing this you can find out what salvage yards in your area have the axle you want, and see what they are selling them for. Also its handy to know, that if you have a commercial address with a dock or a fork lift, they can ship you an axle for about $150.00- $200.00 depending on how far away. Without the Dock or fork lift, its $200.00 plus. I am talking a state or two away. Calling your local yard with that information in mind will help you get the best deal. For example, if your local yard wants to sell you the axle for $800.00 but there is an axle 10 hours away, for $500.00, you are cheaper shipping one in if you have access to a fork lift or dock and a commercial address. It does not hurt to ask the local yard in a nice way if they will sell you the axle for the same price, or at least match the shipped in price. The longer an item has been in inventory, the more they want and need to sell it, so don't be an ass, but be smart about how you negotiate with them.

Youll be spending a lot less on an explorer axle even if you had someone weld the perches and stuff on. There are 3 u pull its here and there are about 20 explorers at each yard and 50% of them have 3.73s and a posi w/ discs, 30% have 3.55s, and the other 20 may have 4.10s, 3.55s, 3.73s blah blah blah but are usually open unfortunately. However u can pick one up for $150. Craigslist also has them all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you Check out Car-part.com, the main web site that 98% of all salvage yards use to display their inventory, you will find that there is at most $200.00 difference between and explorer axle and a Ranger axle. I don't know of any reputable welding/ fab shop that would take the time to weld up the spring perches and shock mounts for $200.00 or less. YMMV.

http://trade1255.car-part.com/cgi-bin/tpSearch.cgi?iIV=3.3.1.18&iTPV=3.3.1.18&iIMSV=83.75&iICV=&iCN=brownbrothersauto@outlook.com&iKey=4&uIMS=A1&uSearch=int&userPreference=zip&uPart=RAX&uSide=&uInterchange=2211B&uModel=EXPLOR&userDate=2003&uID=wrex1tp&uPass=zv78;;&uLog=21956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I know this is an old thread but just updating because someone said all Edge models have 8.8" rearend. That's wrong. He must think the Edge is something special. It is basically an XL trim with an Edge package. Very similar to the STX package.

I finally found a LS rearend but it is an 8.8" 3.73 in a 2000 Explorer. Mine is 7.5" 3.73 open. He wants $200 for it. No telling what labor will be with the welding/fab.

Anyway … Thanks, y'all.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I have a new plan.
I have 2002 7.5" 3.73 open, 9" brakes.
I found a 2004 Fx4 lvl 2 rear axle assembly with 8.8" 4.10 LS, 10" brakes. Trying to get the springs, ubolts, other fasteners, shocks, maybe more. It had ~14000 miles when the truck was totaled. Negotiations start again sometime today LOL The particular junk warehouse is asking $469.00 for all the above, which I think is high because I can get the same out of a plain 2002 XLT for $250.00. Thanks for everyone's help !

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
BTW, I found 2 4.56 LS assemblies. What's up with that ? What model Rangers had gears that low ? I think that is too low for what I do. Mostly highway/street, tow pretty heavy, sometimes haul heavy, daily driver so my F150 doesn't rack miles LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals