• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck won't move.

crops

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 03 ranger 3.0L automatic with 128K miles that starts up fine and shifts into R,N,D just fine. But when i press on the gas the truck acts like it wants to move but it can't. The parking brake is off but was on prior to starting it the first time with this issue. I've driven with the parking brake on before so it doesn't seem like its stuck. I even revved up the engine but it just won't budge. All my fuses visually look fine and my brake lights work. No check engine light(even checked with a code reader and nothing appeared). Transmission fluid is fine as well. Would it be that my brakes are frozen and if so whats the fix? I'm at a loss of troubleshooting methods. I just hope it's something dumb with an easy fix. Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Any chance you are frozen to the ground? I've had it happen to me before.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Yep, I've had the rear brake shoes freeze to the drums. Try pushing the truck by hand just to make sure.

crops

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My location is southern California so i ruled out any freezing issues though we did have a cold front go through during the time my truck was parked. There was a sudden drop in temperatures but not to freezing level. But it could have been enough for my brakes to stick. I've also had co-workers rock the truck back and forth while in R,N, or D and the truck just rocks. I could try revving or rocking harder but afraid that would me give bad results. How can i confirm and fix if the brakes are stuck? Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Take the drive shaft out. If it moves freely start shopping for a transmission.

NarNar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Part out? Haha
Does the driveshaft move at all?? Could be some ****ed differential

crops

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So it was something dumb in that my right rear brake was seized. Had AAA come out and the tow truck guy had the same ranger. He just gave it more gas in reverse. It took a few tries, just revved it as the truck was rocking back as it was rocking back and forth. Then the brakes finally popped. The truck seems fine the past couple of days. It brakes slightly different then before but not much for concern i don't think. i'm pretty easy on them in general. I might have them looked at but not sure if i should worry about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals