• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sudden power loss and then just returns???

scott08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi i have a 08 2.3l ranger its automatic and i am having a sudden power loss and then suddenly returns other than this the truck runs great. When it does this its at any given speed and only for a few moments, the tach drops to 1200rpm and has no power what so ever and if i push the foot feed down it sounds like it is back firing. Then all the sudden it comes back to life(no smoke comes out the tail pipe), revs a little and on i go. It only does this when it gets up to normal operating temp. I just bought the truck and thought it was a plugged fuel filter. Also it starts right up and idles like it should hot and cold. There is no check engine light on nor does it flash on and off.

I have replaced the following

MAP/ambient air temp sensor
upstream and downstream o2s
cylinder head temp sensor

Things it looks like the previous owner replaced
fuel filter(looks brand new and could still see the finger prints on it from them)
coil pack
plug wires(i havent looked at plugs i assume them too)
looks like theres a new tranny in it idk if theres something on it that would cause this or not.

Last edited:

scott08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
no suggestions

scott08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so iam getting a p1397 improper voltage code. new battery yesterday, alternator test good. what could the code be coming from

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Loose wire?

scott08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have checked wires several times and havent found any. Today i ran new ground wires from the computer to the engine and the engine to the frame and it got way worse (cant hardly go down the highway and back fires when i give it gas) also when it does this if i put from D to N the tach drops to 500rpm and comes out of it. I thought maybe it was loading up so i slowly gave it gas and once it got up to 3200rpm it hits the rev limiter(from what i read its factory set at 6250rpm). Bad computer maybe?

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have checked wires several times and havent found any. Today i ran new ground wires from the computer to the engine and the engine to the frame and it got way worse (cant hardly go down the highway and back fires when i give it gas) also when it does this if i put from D to N the tach drops to 500rpm and comes out of it. I thought maybe it was loading up so i slowly gave it gas and once it got up to 3200rpm it hits the rev limiter(from what i read its factory set at 6250rpm). Bad computer maybe?
No, bad grounding. Remember, it got WORSE when you "improved" the grounding. I'd check connections for corrosion. Maybe you've got one of those flood vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals