• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

intake manifold runner control

john hennessy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
as the title says, i am having problems with the IMRC.

this is a 2003 4 cyliner duratec.

i know exactly what it does, i know all about the solenoid,

the diagnosis is to test the reference voltage which i have done, 5 volts.

the output voltage from the sensor is 1 volt or 5 volts dependant on its position, 1 volt closed, 5 volts open or there abouts.

but and now is the difficult part, the white wire from the sensor to the PCM at pin 8, already has 5 volts in the wire, before you say its shorted to the ref voltage wire, i have removed it from the harness and indeed i have cut the wire so i have a wire from the sensor and a wire from pin 8 of the PCM, both wires are outside the harness and are free of damage.

with a vacuum pump connected to the vac chamber on the sensor, i can open and close it at will and read the output voltage in both positions, with the ign turned on, and no vacuum i have 5 volts with the vacuum applied i have 1 volt in the wire from the sensor that i cut, so i know that the sensor works.

i have tested the solenoid and it functions correctly and does apply vacuum to the vac chamber.

however, the PCM turns off the solenoid after about 10 seconds from startup on a cold engine, this time gets shorter with engine temp rise.

with the ignition on, if i test the voltage in the other half of the wire, thats the piece connected to pin 8 on the PCM, there is 5 volts permanently.

this 5 volts is being generated within the PCM as the wire is out of the harness and is blinding the lower voltage signal from the sensor.

i need someone who knows how the PCM can find 5 volts to send down this wire, inside the PCM is there a common with another sensor which is returning 5 volts to a common point and back feeding out of pin 8?

given that as the temp rises, is the temp sensor or the electric thermostat causing the problem?

or is the PCM junk, i do not want to change the PCM unless i have to because of p.a.t.s. programming the key.

i am now desperate and have torn almost all of my hair out trying to rectify this.

Last edited:

john hennessy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what no takers

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not here. I have MegaSquirt to drive me crazy.

Bill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals