• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Torque converter or engine issue ?

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 Bronco II with the A4LD automatic transmission and 47,000 orig miles and sat for 12 years.
The transmission shifts great from 1-2-3-4 but acts erratic at torque converter lock-up. Sometimes the TC will lock-up and stay locked up as long as it needs. Other times it will rapidly kick in and out of Lock-up even on a level or slightly downhill road. I talked to a transmission shop today and they said it did not sound like a transmission issue but and engine issue, like a sensor, brake light switch or an RF signal picked up by the computer. The engine runs great and I don't get any CEL. The transmission has no leaks and the fluid is full and very clean. Can someone help clarify ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
I have a 1988 Bronco II with the A4LD automatic transmission and 47,000 orig miles and sat for 12 years.
The transmission shifts great from 1-2-3-4 but acts erratic at torque converter lock-up. Sometimes the TC will lock-up and stay locked up as long as it needs. Other times it will rapidly kick in and out of Lock-up even on a level or slightly downhill road. I talked to a transmission shop today and they said it did not sound like a transmission issue but and engine issue, like a sensor, brake light switch or an RF signal picked up by the computer. The engine runs great and I don't get any CEL. The transmission has no leaks and the fluid is full and very clean. Can someone help clarify ?
Thanks.
Did you ever figure anything out with this? Mines basically the same way, just all over the place for no reason.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I just read another post with lockup tc issues and there was talk about a possible bad temperature sensor. Check for codes, I personally dont know much about automatics , have read some posts on a exploder forum about a “brown wire mod” where you apparently tap into the wire that controls lockup (must be brown, lol) and you can manually lock the converter for better fuel economy. just remember to switch off or youll most likely stall the engine when you come to a stop.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
CEL doesn’t have to light to have codes set on OBD1, and often a TC code won’t appear anyway. I had an 89 Bronco II that had no TC lockup. I used it as a campus beater so it wasn’t a major issue, but eventually I went looking for it. Turns out the transmission wires ended up against the exhaust and melted.

Vacuum leaks and bad TC solenoid can cause havoc too.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you ever figure anything out with this? Mines basically the same way, just all over the place for no reason.
I took it to a reputable transmission shop and they did a complete rebuild. They told me from sitting the rubber parts were stiff and not sealing properly. The new kit has better seal designs also. I haven't had any problems since. Hardened up rubber seal in the transmission was preventing reverse from engaging The new seal has 2 lips for better sealing. If you get it rebuilt make sure they do a complete rebuild, not just a soft parts rebuild. Specify a Ford front pump. New converter etc. Sorry for the late reply. The A4LD is often criticized, but so many of these transmissions were/are abused by off roading, high temperature and shade tree fixes. Make sure you have a cooler for the transmission.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals