• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My son can count to two

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So today I got back from an overnight trip to my parents' place, and as I pull up my boy starts shouting "Two trucks! Two trucks!"

He wasn't wrong:

Grabbed this girl for $850 this morning.

87 2wd auto, with an incomplete 4.0 swap. Lifted to standard 4x4 height, crusie, PW/L, A/C, and most importantly CLEAN. Just two real rust spots that I saw, one dealt with already. It has the bottom front of the fenders chopped out and sits on 31s.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Nice...$850...that's just over a million Canadian dollars...

What was wrong with the other one?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Put a V8 in it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What was wrong with the other one?
Same thing that killed your last two trucks and my sister in law's dog. Cancer.

The plan is to get this one running, drive it until winter hits, then take her off the road until spring. Then when good weather comes around again I should have my garage back, I'll pull the body off the black one, clean, patch, and rust-proof the frame, fix some leaks and tie up all the wiring completely, probably give it all new brake lines while I'm in there, then swap bodies.

Once that is done I will likely cut the 2wd frame in two, put my old bed on it and make a trailer out of that, then take the 4.0 stuff, except transmission, and put it all in my BII.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Pity...it almost looks viable...

The red one (I assume that was the good one) looks to be in good shape...that's the first place I look too...under the carpets...aside from the door pillar base and underneath...I just hope the unfinished swap didn't involve splicing wires or anything like that...

The 4.0 early version...did they keep the computer by the kick panel inside or under the hood on the firewall?

When I did the 2.5 swap, one of the issues that was holding me up was the fact that there is no place to put the computer under the hood in Gen I or Gen II unless you hack the firewall...so just wondering how I could go about that or if wiring from a Gen II or early Gen III might still put it inside...

I guess I could still hack the firewall...but I'd want to plug up the passenger side drain...not even sure about the wipers getting in the way on Gen I's...something else I need to check...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Now you just need to teach him to multiply.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pity...it almost looks viable...

The red one (I assume that was the good one) looks to be in good shape...that's the first place I look too...under the carpets...aside from the door pillar base and underneath...I just hope the unfinished swap didn't involve splicing wires or anything like that...

The 4.0 early version...did they keep the computer by the kick panel inside or under the hood on the firewall?

When I did the 2.5 swap, one of the issues that was holding me up was the fact that there is no place to put the computer under the hood in Gen I or Gen II unless you hack the firewall...so just wondering how I could go about that or if wiring from a Gen II or early Gen III might still put it inside...

I guess I could still hack the firewall...but I'd want to plug up the passenger side drain...not even sure about the wipers getting in the way on Gen I's...something else I need to check...
Those pics show her good side. The driver's side has huge patches that I tried to clean and treat a few years ago, and it didn't take.

I did grill him about the wire work he tried to do, and I have decided I am just going to start over. He tried using a 93 harness and has it all buggered up. I'm not sue how, but he has the bulkhead connector on the passenger side near the blower motor.

I did see one thread on here where one of the 4.0 swapped BIIs had the engine bay all rearranged to match the 93+ setup, including the addition of a box for the computer on the driver's side.

Now you just need to teach him to multiply.
Well Jim, since math has never been my friend I think I'll work with him on colors first. He spent the afternoon insisting that the black truck is yellow.

Might teach him about 31x10.5 soon though.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So after 5 weeks of procrastinating and waiting for the weather to break, and about 5 hours of actual work it lives. It's not street ready yet, but I've been driving it around the yard and pissing off neighbors since the exhaust ends at the Y pipe right now.

I should be able to drive it on the street this week. I just have to finish fabbing a pipe to bolt to the Y-pipe. I know I usually throw a fit about cats, but I am probably going to drive this thing less than 5000 miles before I strip it for parts, so spending money on a cat seems like a waste. Unless someone has one they will sell me cheap.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I can count to two as well.

See?

<------------

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
are those bucket seats in the black one? Or the 60/40 split bench?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals