• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle swaps

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey j have a 2009 ford ranger xlt and i want it to have a little more stance kinda like a prerunner look. I was thinking about swapping axles with an older explorer but then i heard about different gear ratios. What would need to be done for this swap to work? Or is there an easier way?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Are you talking about swapping front and rear on a 4wd or just rear on a 2wd or ???

As for the gear ratios, if 4wd both axles have to match. (They will if stock in the same vehicle.) If 2wd you can use anything you want.

Unless you have a higher power engine than normal or something (doubler maybe?), I personally wouldn't even look at anything stock except 3.73 (very common) or 4.10 (also not exactly rare). Note that I have almost no use for "highway" speeds and slightly larger than stock tires which affects ratios decision.

If you're gonna go through the trouble to put in an Explorer axle, why not use the 95+? It has disc brakes.

Anyway, basically wondering what the purpose of the swap is and what it's for....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Easier would be to flip the rear spring hanger and shackle. I believe that would drop it the same distance as the length of the shackle.

Richard

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wanna swap the front and rear on a 4wd. The explorer axle was just an idea bc i heard it will give u 1.5 in of space on each side. I just want the tires to stick out a bit so the truck has some stance.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I noticed it at first when I swapped my Explorer axle as in the first couple days, but after a week it was completely unnoticeable. It looks like any other Ranger out there. No one else has been able to tell the difference.

Wider tires with shallower backspacing or spacers would go a longer way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals