• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.73 open swap to 4.56 ls

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys, I am in search of some input on this topic.

:icon_confused:

Here is what I have:

-01 2.5L 4x2 5sp
-6" custom suspension lift :icon_welder:
-3.73:1 Open diff
-33x12.50 BFG AT K/Os

I am thinking about finding a used 4.56 LS rear axle and swapping that in.

I have lost practically all power with the bigger tires and lift, and I dont do a lot of towing, I just want the truck to get better gas mileage with my setup, get a bit more torque out of it so if I did have to tow I could, and I occasionally use it off road so having the LS, to me, would be a great improvement. I have had the truck in some nasty situations with the way it sits and barely made it, just because i only had one tire pulling. I feel that having the two rears pull bc of the LS would help me in a lot of situations. I occasionally go to the mountains and this is where i feel i would benefit from the lower gear ratio. She is normally used for tailgating (hauling ppl and :beer::D)

What is your take on the matter.

:annoyed:I do not have loads of cash laying around to do an engine swap and the 2.5 has been very reliable for me even though i give her hell.:icon_surprised:

Thanks for positive insight, i am only working with what i have, so please keep negative remarks reserved.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
4.56 gears should work very well with 33" tires. A 2.5L engine might like 4.88 gears even more.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Gear the snot out of it.

I have 4.56 gears with my 2.3L lima, and only 235/75R15's!!! Drives and shifts like it should have from the factory (personally). Highway speeds are a bit limited, I'm at 3,000 RPM at 70 in overdrive. Which actually, isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I even saw an increase in mileage (though slight).

I went to 4.56 because I basically could only use 4th gear to get any kind of power on the highway, so I swapped down to turn what 4th gear was into 5th. I used to have 3.73's.

When it comes to 4 cylinders, do not fear the gear!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals