• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 w/live front axles

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I've looked all over and can't find information on how my 1354e operates to engage/disengage the front axle.I'm assuming the front end turns ALL the time, but I don't know?
This all started with me wanting to put manual hubs in place of what I thought I had [PVH].. so I guess my truck is one of the unlucky or not live axle models [built in june 2000].
Also, are live axles a good or bad thing ?I have looked at the tech articles and it reads you cannot put manual hubs on a live axle..

You'd think at my age I could figure this out...not:dunno:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well I don't personally know what the PVH hubs look like on those models, but if you pull the wheel off and/or dustcap and see a big nut, you have live axles.

Not necessarily a bad thing, less to go wrong, and they'll never not engage when you need them. Technically a slight mileage penalty, but modern vehicles have come a long ways in terms of drive-line efficiency.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remove the center cap covering the lugnuts.
If you find a 32mm NUT, you have live axle and that's a GOOD THING. Yes, your front axles turn all the time.

Someone else can better explain the transfer case, shift motor, transfer case clutch, etc. operation.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Well I don't personally know what the PVH hubs look like on those models, but if you pull the wheel off and/or dustcap and see a big nut, you have live axles.

Not necessarily a bad thing, less to go wrong, and they'll never not engage when you need them. Technically a slight mileage penalty, but modern vehicles have come a long ways in terms of drive-line efficiency.
Thanks for the quick response,
no pvh on this truck, just an axle nut, I guess the only way the the axle gets engaged is when I put the transfer case in 4 hi or lo. Not much information on the topic b/c theres nothing to discuss, you engage the transfer case and you have 4 wheel drive end of story.
I'm used to the mileage so, no big deal.

thanks again..:icon_thumby:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yup, front 4x4 engagement is handled entirely in the transfer-case.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
from personal experience with an earlier truck with a TTB axle the mileage cost of driving with the hubs locked is on the order of 0.5mpg around town and ~0.75mpg out on the highway.

A small enough difference that I will often lock my hubs in late October and only actually unlock them if I am making a highway run in clear weather...

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
from personal experience with an earlier truck with a TTB axle the mileage cost of driving with the hubs locked is on the order of 0.5mpg around town and ~0.75mpg out on the highway.

A small enough difference that I will often lock my hubs in late October and only actually unlock them if I am making a highway run in clear weather...

AD
Agreed. I generally lock my hubs the first day we get any snow accumulation and don't undo them again until everyone is scrambling to get their taxes to the post office.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that when you go to the CV shafts instead of the u-joint setup on the TTB trucks that the MPG hit drops to something closer to .2 MPG. Basically you have to drive 50,000 miles a year for it to add up to anything skipping your morning coffee once a month can't cover.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my 98 I permanently locked my hubs. They are like a bic pen spring, I cut the plastic stops out so they could never catch in the free position. Worth the small mpg loss for the reliability.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals