• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum hub problem

Bobomc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 and it stopped going into 4 wheel drive. I heard a grinding sound from the driver's side that sounded like it might be a brake pad issue becuase when i stepped on the brake it seems to lessen. I pulled the front wheel off and found the vacumm pulse hub lock missing. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up on line. It had not fallen off and I believe someone had stolen it. I have 2 questions if someone can help me. Why isn't there a VPH on the passenger's side and should I replace the whole assembly now that I know it is a bearing in the assemlby and not the brake pad causing the noice?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to Ranger Station:

If your truck is a '00; it shouldn't have PVH; it should have a live axle (you can tell looking at ends of axles - if it is threaded/has nut, live axle; just splines missing PVH).

Bearing issue won't stop live axle from going into 4x4...

Don

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to Ranger Station:

If your truck is a '00; it shouldn't have PVH; it should have a live axle (you can tell looking at ends of axles - if it is threaded/has nut, live axle; just splines missing PVH).

Bearing issue won't stop live axle from going into 4x4...

Don
If it's an early 2000, it will have PVH. They did away with it mid-year, sometime in July if I remember correctly.
The only time I have seen a PVH spit out on it's own was due to a bad spindle bearing and chewed up outer c/v joint that let the axle wobble around too much. You may want to investigate further by pulling the wheel bearing assembly and looking at the bearing and shaft.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
If you do end up needing a new hub consider going to the manual hubs by AVM/Rugged Ridge. Less expensive than the replacement PVH's and far more reliable.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If he has to replace the PVHs as they are both AWOL; and a wheel bearing, I would suggest getting full time shafts/appropriate bearings. Then no one can appropriate the hubs because there wouldn't be any...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals