• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 28 spline 3.73 manual trans, LR or No slip for rear

B52U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 B4000 manual trans with axle code 96 which is an 8.8 28 spline open diff with a 3.73 gear ratio in the rear.

A couple of questions regarding lunchbox locker options for the rear diff.

With the 28 spline axles the Aussie is a no go, so that leaves me with the richmond(powertrax) lockright or the no-slip.

In a manual transmission I understand the road manners can be harsh with the loading and unloading of the clutch and the driveline slack. Given that, would paying a 100 bucks extra for the no slip make any difference, or will it face the same problems given the manual transmission? From what I understand there are extra springs/spacers that give a little more synchronization to the locking action.

This is not a daily driver truck, it sits in the garage mostly, but when it will go off road there are usually lots of road miles to get there first. Also driven on weekends to the hardware store, etc.

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I appreciate your patience and experience.

Also with a 3.73 ring gear, am I going to have to grind a tooth or remove the whole carrier to get the cross pin out?

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
B52U:

No sure I understand all your questions; so all my answers may not make sense:

a. You can remove the cross pin sufficiently on 3.73 geared axles to remove the c-clips and pull the axles. e.g. To replace outer axle bearings/seals.
b. The carriers are different between open and no-slip; so you can't just add clutches to an open and button it back together. And if you swap the carrier; you are looking at setting up the differential so the gears mesh correctly. IMHO: Easier just to swap axles (which is what I did)
c. I drive 2 manuals/1 auto with no slips - only one which is PIA is the auto; the s/c 4x4 wants to go straight on ice unless I engage front axle. The manuals, you would never know it was there most of the time; it just helps that little extra to prevent getting stuck. (FWIW: 4x4 axle is 8.8" with 4.10 gears; 4x2s axles are 7.5" with 3.73 gears)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals