• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: STX Rehab

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I was not planning on getting this in depth on this truck. But I have to face facts. I am addicted to truck builds. This is going to be a light going over. I still have my Papa’s truck waiting to get completed. Anyhoo, what we have a 1987 Ranger STX. It was in relatively good shape when I got it. The previous owner tried to take care of it, but just did not have the knowledge to do so.

What has been done so far:
The truck ran like crap and had two dead cylinders when I drove it two hours back home. The plug wires were fried, the points in the cap were burned up and the timing was way off. I pulled the air plenum and cleaned it thoroughly. The EGR port was so clogged I had to use a ½ drill bit. The valve cover were leaking and missing bolts. I went through and rewrapped the wiring harness with new tape and loom. I addressed many details as I went along. The tranny was dry when I bought it so I dropped the pan and serviced it. It helped, but still shifts sporadically. The interior is in great shape just needed a good cleaning. It looks great now, all it really needs a new dash pad. The large piece of trim on the tail gate of course fell off when the previous owner had it. Thankfully he saved it. I was able to repair and reinstall it. I would prefer to delete it but thanks to the big holes Ford drilled in the sheet metal I cannot. Oh my god the amount of water I have sprayed on this truck. I have no idea how much I have spent on water and degreaser. I have hit with the pressure washer many times and the underside and engine compartment it still greasy. There is more here and there but you get the idea.

Today’s plans:
I know 2.9 engines are not power monsters. But they do put out better than this one is. I have got it running 100 times better but it is still lacking. I think the cats are clogged up so I am deleting them. The previous owner had new exhaust ran from the cats back with a brand new Dynomax muffler. I do not at all like the exhaust that is on there, but it will do for now. While the exhaust is out I will be replacing the modulator. I hope that will clear up the sporadic shifting. I will also service the rear diff and install my new spare tire.

By the way, I also picked up a parts truck. My plan was to convert the STX to dual tanks. But I have to change out the bed which means new paint. I kind of like the faded green and peeling stripes. So I am going to leave it has it is and just part the parts truck out.

jhammel85

Man I'd love a parts truck...the only problem is that most first gens here are more rotten than mine. What makes you think the cats are at fault? Is it just sluggish? I wouldn't remove both cats for many reasons but what about deleting the first cat? That's the one with the most chance of being melted or Fowled by a rich running engine.

Keep up the good work!

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I cannot pin point the exact reason I feel that. It is more of a gut feeling from being around Rangers. Besides, they restrict not matter how you look at it so I would rather just get rid of them. the O2 sensor is before the cats so that will not be affected.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I did not even come close to getting everything done this weekend. Between having to help friends unexpectedly and discovering more problems with the truck, I got very little accomplished.

The funny thing here is I have several sets of jack stands. Yet they are all being used under other non running vehicles. So, I had to improvise a bit.

This is the section of exhaust I cut out of the donor truck. Looks like the previous owner also deleted his cats. I figured there was no use in doing the same work again. Boy was I wrong. I am starting to think there should be a back ground check before someone can buy a welder. After I ground down very excessive and sloppy welds I spent a huge amount of time fixing thin areas and pin holes. I do not want to know how much I spent on electricity, gas and wire dealing with this hunk of crap. I wish the exhaust shops were open; I would have started over with new material. I plan a whole new exhaust system in the future, so this is temporary anyway.

I pulled the original 1987 spare out of the truck. Looks like it has never touched pavement before. I put its life expectancy at less than five minutes at highway speeds. I hate seeing all that meat go to waste. I picked up a never used spare at the salvage yard out of a late model Explorer. But it is an inch and a half bigger. New tires are in the works as well as a matching spare.

I got a surprise when I drained the rear diff. I did not expect to find the truck came stock with 4:10 gears. Some years back when I was building these trucks into trails rigs I would have given a left nut to find one stock with a 4L10 tag on the diff. The clutches in the LSD I think need some help. But they work well enough for now. I found out the drums are adjusted a bit too tight so I will give them some slack tomorrow.

I also replaced the original 1987 shocks. They are beyond worn out.

I found a mess of wiring. One of the biggest and most time consuming issues I have with old trucks is correcting what previous owners did. I installed the proper trailer wire connector while I was at it. I have several lying around anyway.

I did other stuff here and there as well. I hope to wrap up the exhaust tomorrow.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
nice looking truck! good luck with the build! I love that interior, looks awesome!

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, there will be more to come.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I finished up the exhaust and it is horrible. Those were by far the worse welds I have ever laid down. The material was terrible and the product I started with should have been scrapped. However, I tried to make it work anyway. I knew better and went against what I knew to be true. So, now I get to do it all over again. But this time, I will use new materials and go with the design I prefer.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Drove it for the first time today since my last go round. It still does not shift right. I did not drive it long enough to say for sure if there is any noticeable improvement. But I can say for sure there are still issues. I think there is something going on in the valve body.

The exhaust is going to get on my nerves until I correct it. It does feel like the engine is putting out a bit better. But at the same time, it feels like I am pulling a trailer. I have had not a chance to check the brakes. Maybe they are binding. I know the rears are adjusted a little too tight.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
yea make sure all the drive-train operates smoothly to make sure that is not the issue... possibly if there is an issue, could be causing the trans to act funny? :S

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
This is one reason I was hoping for a five speed.

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is one reason I was hoping for a five speed.
Put one in there then! It's actually not that bad (easier than I'd thought it would be). I put a M50D in my '84 with a 4.0 clutch. :D

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
The thought has crossed my mind.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the drums to check the adjustments. All is well and the resistance I felt before was not there this time. Also, the brakes look new. The drums look like they were just installed.

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thought has crossed my mind.
Well, if you do hit me up. I can tell you exactly what I did and even give you part numbers (will save a lot of confusion). ;)

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I just drove the dog snot out of this truck. It is running so much better. It shifts better and pulls better. The cats were clogged as I suspected. The exhaust drone makes me want to strangle kittens, but I will correct that later. It still labors with hills though. I think it might be a fuel issue. I was pricing tools for cleaning fuel injections systems. That may have to happen soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals