• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger - key start won't work but screwdriver will?

notools

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
I'm a newbie for starters! My 94 ranger, 4 cylinder, manual won't start. The battery is fine, my headlights and cab lights are fine. When I turn the key there are no sounds, no clicking, just silence. My father used a screwdriver to bridge between two post on a cylindrical component mounted on the drivers side of the engine compartment. When these posts are shorted (as long as the key is in the "on" position) the engine starts with no problem.

What is this cylindrical part? It is attached to the alternator, and the positive lead of the battery. It also has another small post with a smaller gauged wire coming off of it.

Is the solution as simple as replacing this part?
What is the function of this part?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It 'could' be as simple as replacing that part. I can't think of the name right now... solinoid? It's an oversized relay to take battery power from the battery to the starter. About C$15.00. If you have a multi-meter you can test for power at the little wire, it should show battery power when the key is in the start position. If it does then the solinoid is suspected, if not, then the wiring to or the switch itself.
Good luck,
Richard

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
starter solenoid on the passenger fender well could very well be the problem, go to a junkyard they will fit pretty much anything, i got one form a 82 f250 on my 86, and on my 88 it has one from a Freightliner truck lol.

if its still your problem, theres a red and blue wire going to it which is for your key start, it could be that wire

jrt341

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also look in your in cab fuse panel and see if your #24 fuse is blown. If it is you might have the same problem as me, but I have a 95.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86066

there is the thread I have going if you seem to have the same problem. Lots of things to try in there if your fuse is not blown too.

notools

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all of your replies. I wasn't getting the 12 volts from the red/blue wire needed to close the starter relay. After pulling apart all the paneling in the cab of my truck i decided it was easier to add a "momentary" switch by running a wire from my battery (+) into the cab, through the switch, and then back out to the starter relay. All I have to do is put the key in the "run" position and then push the switch and the starter motor cranks the engine. Works beautifully.

My only concern is the twelve guage wire i attached to the battery terminal. i wonder if there is a safer local voltage source for the switch.

Thanks again for your help.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As long as your wire runs to the small post you'll be fine, but if you want to you can tap from the fuse block. Find an accessory fuse, use a test light to tap from the fused side.
Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals