• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS Help

92 Danger Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 92 ford ranger 4x4 with a dana 35 front ttb. my buddy gave me a dana thirty out of his jeep what all do i need to swap it in and run leaf springs other than front spring hanger and rear shackle mounts.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why wouldn't you just use your d35 as a solid axle? being it's a better axle to begin with...

i don't remember what all's involved, but i think turning the ttb d35 into a solid axle is more or less just welding a few spots, then taking off a few mounting bolts

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
leave it alone, your d35 is a better axle than a leaf sprung d30 ever could be.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
why wouldn't you just use your d35 as a solid axle? being it's a better axle to begin with...

i don't remember what all's involved, but i think turning the ttb d35 into a solid axle is more or less just welding a few spots, then taking off a few mounting bolts
Not even close. Gwaii is the only one to ever have attempted such a feat to my knowledge. And that was with a Dana 50 beam and only because D60 stuff was too $$$ or hard to come by or something, at any rate he used what he had.

Making a D35 into a solid axle is a moderate engineering feat. Far, far beyond a few welds and mounting bolts.

leave it alone, your d35 is a better axle than a leaf sprung d30 ever could be.
Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. But You're really not going to come out significantly ahead just by switching to a solid axle. Especially a D30. Being it's leaf sprung can I hazzard a guess that it's also low pinion? if it is just walk away, you do have a better axle already in that case.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not even close. Gwaii is the only one to ever have attempted such a feat to my knowledge. And that was with a Dana 50 beam and only because D60 stuff was too $$$ or hard to come by or something, at any rate he used what he had.

Making a D35 into a solid axle is a moderate engineering feat. Far, far beyond a few welds and mounting bolts.
i am 99% sure i saw someone on here with a d35 ttb turned solid axle... i remember reading gwaii's d50, on his ranger, but that's not what i'm thinking of... i wish i could remember who it was...

as far as what it would take, my statement of a couple welds, was a guess... but honestly, i can't see it taking that much... a piece of 2x2" square tubing welded on would probably do the trick more or less... but i can't say for sure without having one in front of me

edit:
after looking at pics of the ttb, one could make it into a solid axle quite easily, all you would have to do is cut the mounts for each beam, off of the frame of the donor vehicle, and make brackets, so that those mounts are welded to the adjacent beam, so the bushings and bolts and everything are still there... but instead of the TTB pivoting from the frame, they would pivot from eachother, and based on the fact that they won't pivot on eachother, it would become a solid axle... though there may be a slight issue with this, if the two were to pull apart, i can't quite see the physics in my head at this late hour of the night (430am) but if that were the case, a piece of dom between the mount of one, and the body of the other SHOULD solve that completely... but that shouldn't be an issue regardless...

the key would be making sure that the angle of the beams is set so that you don't have a camber issue

see attached pic, the way i have it described, if it is done properly, the ttb would function as a solid axle, but would be able to be taken apart into 2 pieces, for servicing, or replacing parts, if needed, just make sure the metal used to make those brackets is strong enough!

Attachments

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
i am 99% sure i saw someone on here with a d35 ttb turned solid axle... i remember reading gwaii's d50, on his ranger, but that's not what i'm thinking of... i wish i could remember who it was...

as far as what it would take, my statement of a couple welds, was a guess... but honestly, i can't see it taking that much... a piece of 2x2" square tubing welded on would probably do the trick more or less... but i can't say for sure without having one in front of me
So you're telling this poor guy what to do, and you barely have an idea what the TTB even is? Or what it would take? Yes I'm being a bit critical here because you're offering advise to a guy that sounds a bit new himself. I'm not particularly cool with that.

edit:
after looking at pics of the ttb, one could make it into a solid axle quite easily, all you would have to do is cut the mounts for each beam, off of the frame of the donor vehicle, and make brackets, so that those mounts are welded to the adjacent beam, so the bushings and bolts and everything are still there... but instead of the TTB pivoting from the frame, they would pivot from eachother, and based on the fact that they won't pivot on eachother, it would become a solid axle... though there may be a slight issue with this, if the two were to pull apart, i can't quite see the physics in my head at this late hour of the night (430am) but if that were the case, a piece of dom between the mount of one, and the body of the other SHOULD solve that completely... but that shouldn't be an issue regardless...

the key would be making sure that the angle of the beams is set so that you don't have a camber issue
Yeah... you lost me on that one

To the OP:

Technically you might want to run a Trac bar, but it's not 100% necessary. It'll help the steering a bit driving down the highway. Otherwise bolt her in just like it is on the Jeep, leafs are pretty easy. There's lots of threads on tie rod angles and stuff like that, but the rule of thumb is the flatter (more parallel o the ground) they are the better.

Edit: in some cases the "trac bar" also referred to as a "panhard bar". I'm not sure which is the correct term, I think it varies front to rear or from a steering to a non-steering axle, but it's used interchangeably and near as I can tell it's essentially the same thing.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i should have been more clear, i wasn't offering advice on how to turn a d35 ttb into a solid axle, i was merely thinking outloud, for others to hear, on how something COULD be done, that MIGHT work... i was in no way shape or form saying that yes, it will work

i'll try to find an overhead view of the d35 ttb, and i can draw a better pic of it

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
theres solid d35's

with less then spectacular results.:D

i know one guy personally who has done it. he is a true out of the box thinker as well...but usually stays firmly within the k.i.s.s. principals.

BUT.

no fawkin way i would dump a ttb 35 for a d30.

dont do it.:icon_surprised:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
theres solid d35's

with less then spectacular results.:D

i know one guy personally who has done it. he is a true out of the box thinker as well...but usually stays firmly within the k.i.s.s. principals.

BUT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMv4zehJ6w

made that video just for this thread :D

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Yeah. D30 is weaker(read sucks balls...), and the d35 is actually really good if set up properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals