• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag

pintopickup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 ranger splas
Make / Model
97 xlt 2300
Transmission
Manual
Looking for info on air bag steering...want to ditch this collumn so I can install a custom wheel...Thanks for any info

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. Due to your lack of effort put into making the post (what info are you looking for, perhaps? I shall put a lack of effort into my response...

Search. Its up there. ^
And over there a bit. >

pintopickup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 ranger splas
Make / Model
97 xlt 2300
Transmission
Manual
OK Fine...I want to install a grant wheel on an air bag equiped steering shaft.I was wondering if anyone elce had done this or if I have to replace the column with an earlier model

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i bieleive you'll have to change out the whole coulmn for a earlier one, ive been looking for a steering wheel to put on the wife's S-blazer to get rid of the deep-dish airbag wheel. i can find a aftermarket airbag wheel, and a few covers for the current wheel, but no one seems to make a after market steering wheel to replace a airbag wheel with. i could care less about "no air bag" its a '97, who's to say it would even deploy? i just hate having the wheel so close so i can be comfortable with the pedal didtance. the ranger doesnt have that problem and has a rather flat steering wheel. i may put a older coulmn in the blazer someday. or put the stock steering wheel in a press and take some of the dish out.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
. i could care less about "no air bag" its a '97, who's to say it would even deploy?
Smash into something. I bet that badboy goes off. The one in my '94 caravan did back in 2006.

Im not familiar with Rangers with Airbags, but I have had several shop manuals for cars/trucks with airbags in some models, and they all have a way to remove the steering wheel... If you can do that, I dont see why you can't install an aftermarket wheel?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
you have to have the right spline on the wheel/wheel adaptor. the steering shafts ive seen are different for a airbag wheel vs a non-airbag wheel. you dont just want to force a wheel on and possibly not turn the wheels or have the wheels turn when your trying to go straight. i suppose grant thought it would be somehow liable if someone removed a airbag steering wheel and put a non-airbag wheel on. doesnt seem much differnt from taking off stock 29" tires and putting on 35"'s without a brake upgrade.

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
isnt there a legal issue with removing air bags from a vehicle....maybe more of an insurance issue?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if your the owner and do it yourself, i dont see what the problem would be.the lack of a air bag doesnt make it less safe to drive, just less safe to wreck. so dont wreck. im sure after a certain period of time, 15-20 or more years, the propellant might not work anyways. my airbag equipped vehicles have been more expensive to insure that those that werent. and i only carry liability. once there paid for, i drop coverage to bare legal mimimum. its not like their worth alot anyways.

pintopickup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 ranger splas
Make / Model
97 xlt 2300
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info...Splines was what I wondering about.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You can't do it with the air bag (legally). I have a 99 and I tried to this as well when my Ranger was about a year old. Nobody would sell me the steering wheel I wanted and everybody told me that this was a big safety issue and bla blaa blaa, and I tried again last summer but, the air bag is supposed to be in my steering wheel the Ford dealer told me then when I went to ask questions about putting on a custom steering wheel. So unless I want the air bag to go off and if I ever were in an accident....my fault or not the insurance company does not have to pay for damages because I altered the vehicle....I even checked local state laws on this and this is true.....I don't hate my stock steering wheel, it is in really nice shape...I just wanted to put in the custom steering wheel I liked....Ahhhhhhhh!!!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
id still do it if i could. ive seen many instances where a airbag should have gone off but didnt. we bought a montana a few years back that had the airbag light flashing the day we drove it off the lot. i ran a straight pin through the wires to shut the light off, it was still that way when we got rid of it. if removing a airbag will supposedly cause insurance to be void, then how were certian vehicles getting away with a passenger side shut-off switch? yes i know what it was intended for, but whats to keep me from leaving it shut off all the time? (particuarly if im giving someone i dont like a ride lol)

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if your the owner and do it yourself, i dont see what the problem would be.the lack of a air bag doesnt make it less safe to drive, just less safe to wreck. so dont wreck. im sure after a certain period of time, 15-20 or more years, the propellant might not work anyways. my airbag equipped vehicles have been more expensive to insure that those that werent. and i only carry liability. once there paid for, i drop coverage to bare legal mimimum. its not like their worth alot anyways.
If you ever let anyone drive the truck and they were involved in an accident and got injured the liability would fall on you.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
id still do it if i could. ive seen many instances where a airbag should have gone off but didnt. we bought a montana a few years back that had the airbag light flashing the day we drove it off the lot. i ran a straight pin through the wires to shut the light off, it was still that way when we got rid of it. if removing a airbag will supposedly cause insurance to be void, then how were certian vehicles getting away with a passenger side shut-off switch? yes i know what it was intended for, but whats to keep me from leaving it shut off all the time? (particuarly if im giving someone i dont like a ride lol)
I sure hope nobody gets hurt in that Montana with the pin disabling the light telling the person driving it there is an airbag malfunction!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals