• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap questions

Odin's Chosen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 87 ranger 4x4 5spd that I'm thinking of dropping in a 302. I found a 94 explorer that has the engine but an automatic transmission. I have a buddy who can give a deal on a tranny from his old F150 ( I think it's 90-92) that has a 4.9l in it. My questions are would the 4.9l tranny work? I imagine it would but I've been wrong before. I've been looking things up on the swap for a while now but recently saw something about issues when swapping into a 4x4 with the transfer case if I remember right. What problems would I run into. Would I be able to take the tcase from the explorer?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look here in Conversions: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

1994 Explorer didn't have a V8
1996 was the first year for that option.

4.9l(300) was inline 6 most likely, but they called the 302 a 4.9l as well, in any case the trans bolt pattern is the same, small block windsor pattern, so yes it would fit.

1996, and older, full size truck transmissions have shifter farther forward than rangers but it will work with custom bent shift arm.
1997 and up M5OD-R2 from a 4.2l V6 will match Rangers shifter location and 302 engine mount

Yes, you can use transfer case from explorer.

transmissions are made for 2WD or 4WD, inside they are the same but they have different tail shafts and housings, which can usually be swapped.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals