• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Batch Fire vs. Sequential Injection (swap related)

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As I near completion of my V8 Swap. A friend of mine and I came up with an ingenious way to use my existing 2.9 wiring harness with hardly any modification.

As you may know, the H.O. cam utilizes the 351 firing order rather than the conventional 289/302 firing order. We will test using an F-150 ecu in lieu of the mustang H.O. computer, utilizing the F-150's batch fire.

All we need to do is wire the fuel injector harness to correspond with the batch fire.

Your thoughts and input are welcome!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see a problem adding an injector to each of the 2 injector grounds.

Batch Fire is just one step up from a Carb.
A Carb kept the 14:1 air:fuel mix in the whole intake, so you would lose a bit of economy with the inside of the intake being coated with the mix all the time.
The opening intake valves just sucked in the mix as needed.
Batch Fire does the same but just on lower intake so a bit of savings on MPG, opening intake valves suck in the mix.
Injectors with good tips and pressure also aerosolize the fuel better than a carbs jets could

Sequential is better, just that port and back of intake valve gets coated with the mix, the cam position sensor helped time when the best release time for fuel was for the least amount of lost fuel.

Direct injection is as good as it gets, no wasted mix

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Others have already done this with the V-6 harnesses.
Dave

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
It's been done, I've been helping guys do it around here for 7 years or so.

"Batch fire is one step up from a carb" is so far off base, where to begin?

Well, almost all SEFI systems kick to a batch fire strategy above a certain RPM, save for very, very new vehicles

And the "sequential" mustang computer is functionally no better than batch fire. Rather than having 2 batches, it has 8 batches that fire the injectors in the same as the firing order. But since it lacks a crank sensor. The timing of when they fire is totally Random

To correct the statement "TBI is one step up from a carb"

But MPFI is infinitely better, with only idle quality, and emissions improving with SEFI.

A good example is the 4th Gen F-bodies, in 1995 they were batch, but in 1996 to conform to OBDII requirements they gained a crank sensor, and SEFI. The performance ratings were the same.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
It's been done, I've been helping guys do it around here for 7 years or so.

"Batch fire is one step up from a carb" is so far off base, where to begin?

Well, almost all SEFI systems kick to a batch fire strategy above a certain RPM, save for very, very new vehicles

And the "sequential" mustang computer is functionally no better than batch fire. Rather than having 2 batches, it has 8 batches that fire the injectors in the same as the firing order. But since it lacks a crank sensor. The timing of when they fire is totally Random

To correct the statement "TBI is one step up from a carb"

But MPFI is infinitely better, with only idle quality, and emissions improving with SEFI.

A good example is the 4th Gen F-bodies, in 1995 they were batch, but in 1996 to conform to OBDII requirements they gained a crank sensor, and SEFI. The performance ratings were the same.
Having experience with this, is it really as simple as using the F150 ECU in place of the factory one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals