• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 B2 Build Thread

Cameron1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I've been scouring craigslist for a few months now to find a cheap candidate to swap the engine from my 86 Ranger into. Long story short the Ranger engine was repaired and running then came into some electrical problems that put it out of commission and it wasn't worth finding the problem.

I finally found an 89 Bronco 2 with blown heads. Only paid $450 for it but it has that much in new parts that were installed in January and it's in way better shape than the Ranger. Surprisingly it started right up and drove onto the trailer before it created a thick white cloud of smoke lol. It needs a lot of body work but I won't complain since it was so cheap and had so many new parts. I attached some pics of it from the PO.

I've started tearing apart the engine bay to pull the motor, trans, and transfer case and I noticed a potential problem that I haven't found a firm solution to through online searches.

I plan to pull the crap electric T-case and use my manual T-case from my Ranger. If it matters, I also want to use the B2's trans since it's an FM146 and the ranger has the FM145. I'm not positive if they both have BW1350's or not. The problem is the electric T-case has a flange style rear output and the manual has what I believe is called a pinion style yoke. I have a new driveshaft that came with the B2 so I wanted to know if I could swap the flange output onto the manual case.

Other than replacing the heads in the Ranger motor I've never done major work on vehicles. Just typical maintenance and repairs so please bare with me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

Cameron1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
The first two attached photos are the flange style rear output on the B2's electric T-case without the drive shaft
Third photo is the rear output of the Ranger's manual T-case.

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You can swap over the t-case yoke/flange no problem. Both should be 1350s.

Nice score. :icon_thumby:

Cameron1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Sweet. Thanks for the input.

I happened to find a manual 4.0 starter on craigslist for $25 so now I can do the clutch upgrade for about $100 less.

Hopefully I'll have it all together and back on the road in a few weeks. Then I plan to repair the body mount brackets for new mounts and a body lift, repair all the rust, paint it, fab up a custom roof basket, and maybe do the leaf spring swap from the tech library. Haven't decided on any other upgrades yet but I'm open to suggestions.
Oh ya and I scored a manual sun roof from a newer ranger at the jy for like $15!

I'll keep updating my progress when I have time.

Cameron1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well it's been a long busy summer that caused me to push the motor swap aside. I finally had time to get some serious progress done. I've got the engines and trans pulled from both the bronco and ranger. Used oven cleaner and a power washer on the engine bay and ranger motor trans transfer assembly. Decided to use the ranger motor with the current fm145 trans and manual transfer instead of hassling with the trans swap.

One question though before I drop it in and hook it all up. I covered all open ports on the motor trans and transfer with tape or rags before I sprayed it down. Everything except the starter mount on the trans so I ended getting a lot of water in there. Do I need to be worried or is it good to go still? Hoping I don't need to disassemble the trans or clutch but I wanna be sure before I try to drop it in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jecsd1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Water on the clutch will dry. It's harmless. If you got it in the trans you'll need to flush it out before use.

Cameron1591

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was planning to flush everything before firing it up anyway. Sounds like it'll be good to go then. If not I've still got the fm146 I can swap in. Thanks for the input

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals