• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vss and abs code c1230

ktrstudios

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i have been driving the truck for a week when i replaced the multi function switch and shorted the wires from the clutch interrupt switch so as i thought the cruise control would work, the abs light came on. unshorted the wires and reset light no help. the trans is a 1998.
i have looked at all the treads about the vss and abs issues but have not seen an answer. the 1999 ranger already has a g-force sensor from the factory and so i did not need to splice the one in from the explorer. the explorer did not have the vss in the rear axle but it also did not have the vss in the output shaft of the T/C. i am at a loss. any ideas from those who have seen this before.
Break down of components truck - 1999 ranger with the 3.0 and 5speed 4x4
engine and trans from a 1998 explorer automatic AWD
wiring harness from a 1999 mountaineer and ecm from a 2000 explorer.
fuel system is return less from the 2000 explorer.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Think there are a couple possibilities.

Your Ranger's ABS system should be generating the speed signal off the tear abs sensor.

Your 2000 Expo PCM and 1999 Mountianeer harness should expect the speed signal from the ABS system.

But....Your ’98 trans was originally used to provide a raw signal the PCM would process into the speed signal.

I'm wondering if there are sensor or wiring differences between the '98 gear box and '99 harness and 2000 PCM. I do know one difference between the 99 and 2000 was at pin 13 on the 42 pin connector. Its the PCM and VSS ground on the 99 and a warning light output on the 2000. Not sure how that difference shows up at the PCM but you might simply need to isolate the two sides of that pin and ground the wire on the Ranger side.

Also, any chance the speed signal wire at pin 7 was missed?

ktrstudios

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
checked

just checked the 42 pin connector and pin 13 is empty on both sides. pin 7 has the GR/BK wire both sides that feed the vss input on the ecm. I need to mention the speedo still works like it should. and pin 42 has a black wire with white strip for ground. as soon as i clear the abs code with KOEO the light blinks once but stays on. as i mentioned the rear end out of the explorer did not have the vss in it nor does the trans. i feel that it has to do with the manual to auto swap but do not see on the wiring diagrams where my problem is.:sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals