• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

drive shaft mods with NP205

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone out there using the NP205 in an extended cab Ranger? It looks like my stock 2 piece rear drive shaft will work by removing the front mounting plate and using a conversion u-joint--but I'm not sure. Has anyone done this?

I did an extensive search of the forum and lots of google searching, but can't find examples of this conversion.

The front drive shaft is now too long and I'm also wondering if there is an easy replacement, or is this going to mean mods by a shop? Would appreciate any input.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Get a one piece shaft, that would be the best thing to do. Measure from center of yoke to center of yoke and go find one that is close to or if you are real lucky, you will find one that will work. If you can't find one that will work, Getty one that is to long and have it shortened and balanced, cheaper to shorten a shaft then lengthen.

My rear shaft is from a standard cab f150 shortened and my front is from a 71 Wagoner that was shortened. Both run conversion joints 1310 to 1330 (moog 353 I got off eBay for $20 each)

Shortening shouldn't be to much, was $35 to do my rear and $70 for my front only because it was slightly bent and he straightened it out and in both situations I supplied the u joints and the shaft was done either that day getting it in early enough or next day.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here are some pics of the one piece shaft installed. It came from a 2000 Ranger and was 59 inches yoke to yoke. Have to use a 1310 to 1330 conversion u-joint for the NP205. See the technical section write up for the trimming and carrier bearing mount removal details. Overall pretty simple.

[/URL][/IMG]

Trimmed section off of the fuel tank skid plate:

[/URL][/IMG]

Crossmember where the carrier bearing use to sit:

[/URL][/IMG]

Connection to the NP205 with conversion ujoint:

[/URL][/IMG]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals