• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tachometer sticking

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I drive a 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0, I just replaced a wire from my alternator to my indicator light to fix a low charge issue. I decided to pull my gauges and dust them off and wash all the non-electrical stuff(like the clear cover), now that I have everything back together my tachometer needle is sticking. It will move but very erratically like the needle is dragging on something. I don't know what I overtightened when I put everything back together but I actually use the tachometer so help is appreciated.

EDIT: Thinking I might have bent the display but I can't tell from just looking at it. I'm not sure how I would've done it but I have to take apart the cluster again because I found out my turn signal bulb decided to burn out... go figure.

Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Pulled everything apart again(I'm getting good at this, only took me 10 minutes) the needle is rubbing on the display, I pulled it off, realigned it and stuck it back on. It looks like it will hold the way I've got it on there, but it pulled off of the display way to easy, I thought it should have been more difficult. I didn't use any tool I just grabbed at the center and pulled lightly and the needle came right off, I wasn't even trying to get it off, just seeing how careful I needed to be. With that in mind I will get very technical on all of you for a moment :icon_welder:, I'm thinking a small amount of Elmer's Glue(maybe even their water soluble junk)will hold it in place I don't want to use a really strong glue because I know at some point I'll need to get this off again.

If I'm being stupid somebody stop me :icon_thumby:

EDIT: I didn't glue it, just pulled the needle away from the display. The tachometer is reading correctly and if it goes bad again I don't have too much of a problem taking it apart to fix it again.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals