• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition switch gremlin

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Over the last couple years, occasionally my dash gauges and radio would go off and then magically come back on again. It happened today after starting the truck. I moved the ignition switch a bit and everything came back to life, but I was unable to duplicate it. Could it be the key switch, ignition switch module or linkage? Just looking for ideas before I tear the whole thing apart!

Secondly,
Since I am asking and rarely do so... Occasionally when its hot out and been on the trail for a while where the underhood temps are up. The engine will start cutting out. If it dies, its really hard to start and wont idle. Once its sat for a while it will normally return to normal. I dont remember if the old 2.9 did it or if its just since the 4.0 swap a couple years ago. Again, intermittent issue and generally when on the the trail all day. I cant remember it happening on the road. Anybody experience this? As a side note, it seems to happen when getting the rig vertical mostly, but not always.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Is it safe to assume you have an aftermarket radio? Judging from my thread in "Need urgent help fast" you can gather I'm no expert, but the first thing I checked when I started having my alternator problems(you know, after the alternator itself) was how my moron of a previous owner had the radio hooked up, if it was done incorrectly that could cause problems. Just a guess though.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Radio is aftermarket and correctly installed. When it happens, it's not just the radio but the gauges too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you wiggled the ignition switch/wires under the steering column and gauges came back on then I would start there, swap it out, it is a slider switch so can get worn out contacts.
Since there was an engine swap also make sure the ground strap from the driver's side head to the firewall is connected and making good contact, that's the primary Ground for cab electrics.
Cab can get ground from other places but they can also be intermittent, because they are all pretty much painted surfaces with rubber grommets.

The old TFI module on the 2.9l would be first thing to check because they did have heat issues, but I would assume you are now running the 4.0l with EDIS-6 module and CKP(crank position) sensor, and they were pretty bullet proof, as long as EDIS module was mounted on rad support away from the heat.
My '94 has it mounted on the front side of rad support.

But the heat issue does point an electrics issue, I haven't heard of a fuel injection system getting vapor lock or similar fuel issues because of heat.
Getting vertical with fuel pick up in the tank now sucking air will shut you down pretty quick, lol.
Your '86 should have had the dual pumps with reserve bowl, which would be handy to avoid that.

For low speed off-roading an electric rad fan is a popular upgrade because it cools rad, and engine compartment, regardless of engine RPMs or vehicle speed.
It can also be turned off for higher water crossings, so engine compartment stays drier :)

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Thanks Ron...

I will double check on the ground cable to the engine. My EDIS is mounted on the inside of the core support and maybe that is worth moving somewhere else. I already have the ignition key switch. I will probably run down and get the other part since its cheap and tear it apart and replace. 1986 was quite a while ago.

I have tried electric fans in the past. The t-bird fan worked great, but could never find a controller and relays that would last. Now with a 4 core aluminum radiator, there isnt enough room for the t-bird fan. I have seen the Vovlo fan unit with factory relays and such. I wonder if its thinner than the t-bird setup? I do run a pusher electric fan behind the grill for when the A/C is running.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
After a quick check, the ground strap was disconnected. I reattached it and my temp gauge works much better now! :icon_thumby: We will see if anything else changes.

Back in 2010, a buddy and I swapped out a hydro locked 4.0 with one we sourced from TRS in an emergency. With a long block change and back on the road in 8 hours, there is no surprise that the strap was left off!

Now I just need to find time to swap out the ignition and move the EDIS.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals