• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help getting the bronco running

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
go with the 198 unless someone here says the 180 will work better I am pretty sure these motors are designed to run hotter and staying with the design temp you will get better fuel economy and still have the performance

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I keep forgetting you have the 93 engine in there but stick with the stock stat I guess getting a motorcraft stat would be the best as stant parts are allways a gamble if you are going to get a good one If the engine does not come up to temp the computer might set the air fuel mix too rich for emissions

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thermostats opening temp is really a misnomer. the motor will rise to the temp that it is comfortable at. If it opens at 180 and the radiator is small the temp will go up to where it is comfortable at. say 200 degrees

I live in California where the temps are 100 in the summer. We really like lower temps to give our motors a little chance to stay cooler longer.

I usually drill 2 1/8 holes in my thermostats to prevent air bubbles and I think it prevents heat cycling. which is what my motor is doing right now

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
OK well good luck on the emission hopefully you can get the idle down and your cats are working good. Do you have to tell them you have a different engine from stock or are all the tests the same as far as acceptable limits of emissions

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the motor was swapped in 2000 and has a California BAR referee sticker on the door from that time period.
they treat it as a 93 instead of a 89 as far as I know

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just looked at title and since the last transfer was less than 90 days I should not have to smog! In cali you have to Smog at every transfer. Of course then today turns out to be furlough friday :annoyed:. Monday will stop by and register

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
went to junkyard and picked up a different IAC, put that on. idle is now down to 1100rpm

picked up a extra throttle body also. may try throwing that on also to see if that makes a difference.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got mine down by adjusting the idle screw down with the iac unplugged.Then readjust tps to .6 to 1 volt.It won't help smog but put in a IAC bypass switch in the cab for when it annoyes me.My 86 has a 93 ranger motor also but it has a camshaft senser maybe ones a cali car?

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 with camshaft sensor look to be explorer motors and without camshaft sensor is Ranger 4.0. SUV smog compared to Truck Smog.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
grabbed the throttle body and TPS from the aerostar, put a thin layer of black RTV on the gasket. Put it on. The idle is down to 900 -1000 rpm. running even better. the gasket seemed really loose on the one that was on the motor

other thing helping is probably the seafoam coursing through the fuel system and cleaning it out :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals