• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 B2 problems

B2cami

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 84 b2 2.8l. To start out this problem i will say that i have removed the computer not using the duraspark conversion. This would be my second time doing this only did not have this problem with the one done before this. both done the exact same way. Pulled the computer only leaving the start,run and coil wires coming out of the distributor. Also problem occurs using both the motorcraft 2100 and 2150 carburetor both have been soaked and completely rebuilt. the symptoms consist of a rough chugging idle and no power. You try to drive and all it wants to do is barely move and chug. we adjusted the timing and fuel mixture. has good dist cap button and new plugs and wires. along with new pump gas lines sending unit and filter. Both me and my father n law are confused as to what it may be and he is a ford mechanic. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. will post a video of it running with and without the throttle engaged if needed.

Last edited:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
So no duraspark conversion? Original distributor still on with TFI module ? You try to adjust timing moving the distributor ? TFI controls timing and fuel right? Sounds like bad timing to me. I did the duraspark on my 84 with the 2150 and it runs much better. Don't know, but you might want to try that if you have'nt adjusted the timing yet.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Sorry, should've read your post better. Really sounds like a timing or fuel issue though to me. It ran fine before you changed it out? Might be a ground issue too.

B2cami

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. We checked the timing and being now that its almost empty on fuel from all the testing we are gonna put ten gallons of stp treated fuel in it for another go around. Will check the grounds tho. Honestly the one thing that i dont think we have done completely. will let you know when i check them what the result was. i have to do an engine swap this weekend so may not have the chance to do so. Again thank you.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Ive always thought the TFI was dependant on the computer... what controls the spark and fuel mixture once the computer is removed? Can you explain how the system is expected to work? Have removed any of the polution control crap?

I have a few '84/'85 B2s but they are either stock or converted to duraspark, I didnt know there was any other option, but I really like the duraspark, just picked up parts last week to convert an '84.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Ive always thought the TFI was dependant on the computer... what controls the spark and fuel mixture once the computer is removed? Can you explain how the system is expected to work? Have removed any of the polution control crap?

I have a few '84/'85 B2s but they are either stock or converted to duraspark, I didnt know there was any other option, but I really like the duraspark, just picked up parts last week to convert an '84.
Heck no, or at least in my 84 B2 the computer didn't really do anything especially after I pulled the relay out that went to it. Still ran and drove actually ran and drove better.

I had this same issue early on with mine, I had to fish around for some carb adjustment information, finally got it dialed in using the 2 screws on the front of the carb base. Once I got those turned in they were out like 6 turns each...no wonder it didn't run worth crap LOL. Once I did the adjustments It drove fine after that....ok well other than the flywheel and starter not working together LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine didn't have much emissions stuff left on it. It did run better post duraspark swap. If I had gotten the carb switched out (which was stuck at pig-rich) it probably would have ran better yet. By the time I found a carb its days were numbered...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Mine didn't have much emissions stuff left on it. It did run better post duraspark swap. If I had gotten the carb switched out (which was stuck at pig-rich) it probably would have ran better yet. By the time I found a carb its days were numbered...
With mine its days were numbered regardless. I did however hang onto a carb, just needs a rebuild kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals