• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag reset

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Due to some awful shifts at work and bad judgment on my part I had a fender bender that deployed the airbag system. As I'm sure many of you know, resetting the airbags is an expensive hassle.

I bought some reasonably good looking airbags from a wrecking yard as well as an RCM. Although I've read that the RCM may not take and is programmed with the original vehicle's VIN. In this case it came from a '99 mazda b-series and is being placed in a '99 ford ranger. The unit model appears identical but as stated, the programming could be different. I've yet to try it because I now suspect I should have my original RCM reset.

Additionally, I'm not sure where my impact sensors are located exactly and I've read they may be one time use. Does anyone have some insight on their location for a '99 model year?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Crash sensor is going to be on or around the rad core support.

Most air bag modules won't "reset" after being in a crash. If it was a small one sometimes they can be salvaged, especially if only the seatbelt pretensioners deployed. If the air bags went off the module is pretty much done.

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've found that the crash sensors are not around the rad core support and as far as I can tell, having looked at wrecking yard Rangers from the '99 era, they are nowhere to be found on the front of the vehicle. I think they might actually be part of the restraints module.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I've found that the crash sensors are not around the rad core support and as far as I can tell, having looked at wrecking yard Rangers from the '99 era, they are nowhere to be found on the front of the vehicle. I think they might actually be part of the restraints module.
Not sure...Doesn't quite sound right...

The '95 explorer and the '98 one we have been pulling parts from have the sensors both in the same spots. Just behind the front bumper area. There's one on each side. I'll be at the pick and pull yard tomorrow. If I remember I'll see if I can locate a set and do a few photos.

S-

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully the pics are legible - sensors are just in front of rad support on either side of the rad cut out.

If airbags went off:

You will want to get a replacement module with exact same part number. Module in my '99 was under the cup holder console between the front seats.
Supposedly, there are guys who can clear them but for me it was cheaper to get a replacement...

For drivers air bag; in addition to the actual air bag, 9 times out of 10, you will need to replace the clock spring as well.

Attachments

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have crash sensors where shown.. and no loose wiring for them to plug up to. I have also never found any on wrecking yard rangers my year or newer. The restraints control module IS under the cupholders vs the passenger kick panel as found in '98s. Very peculiar...

Also, I figure the horn switch wouldn't work if the clockspring was broken..am I right to assume that?

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I plugged in an RCM from a 99 b-series with good airbags. The light is off so I can only assume that everything is in working order--despite no crash sensors up front. My only concern now is if the RCM requires VIN programming.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Hopefully the pics are legible - sensors are just in front of rad support on either side of the rad cut out.

If airbags went off:

You will want to get a replacement module with exact same part number. Module in my '99 was under the cup holder console between the front seats.
Supposedly, there are guys who can clear them but for me it was cheaper to get a replacement...

For drivers air bag; in addition to the actual air bag, 9 times out of 10, you will need to replace the clock spring as well.
The '95 series and the '98 we have been pulling parts off from, as the air bag sensors are behind the radiator support. Same general area, just a few inches behind that support. Odd placement...

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals