• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 sawp help request

namless_truble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
doing a 2.9 to 4.0 swap i know its a direct swap except the wire harness has anyone done one to point me in the right direction with the harness splice?

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Search

Search this site. Read everything in Tech section and search threads. There is an engine swap thread lower down than Exp/BII thread, lots of questions already answered.
Once you have done that there are Many fine people here who will answer specific questions.
What year "from" and what year "to" are big factors along with trans options.

Good luck

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget to ducument what you are doing, and post details! (pics, ect) Anything you have to do that was different will help the next guy! I am planning to do the same swap, and am particularly interested. :)

namless_truble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0 is from 92 explorer going in an 86 bII. thank you for your responses. i will take pics and notes hoping to get started on this next weekend picking up the donor truck this one.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
92 explorer is a good one the first question is to change dashes or not.I did a 93 ranger yours is better.

namless_truble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have the whole truck at my disposal except body panels and rearend should i swap the dash?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a concern with mine that if I swap the dash, then I can no longer use the existing fuel gage. Since my BII's dash is nicer thean my Exp's, I'm looking more towards just modifying the harness. My second concern is what to do with the 4.0 harness computer, which will not go where the BII's is now.
It's more about function over form for me. I need all working components, and not so concerned with appearances.

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got my fuel gauge to work with the exp dash just a 1/4 tank ment empty lol

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got my fuel gauge to work with the exp dash just a 1/4 tank ment empty lol
I guess that could work, if you don't forget, or let your wife drive it. Then again a dipstick could be installed too.
I kinda like my working gauges.:icon_surprised:

Peterbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
I did an 84 2.8 to 4.0 swap in my B2 the dash looks good but you need to cut a larger hole in the firewall for the other colum and one for the round bulkhead plug. But seeing as you have the whole explorer i would go with all the factory explorer wiring it takes a longer to do if you want it dont right. Its not a weekend swap really lots of fiddling around but in the end its worth the effort if you take a look at my project dirty white boy you will see ur alot better off your starting with a 2.9 and the factory explorer computer should be able to mount of the pass side kick pannel just use the explorer bracket to mount it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals