• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

two questions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so to begin this short story, my dad blew my trans. the only one that the jy had was a fm145. i know its not the best but its a little better then the tk5 that blew up.

ok first question im sure has been answered multiple times. 80 90 was put in. had atf before i put in the 80 90. but i can hear a whine with 80 90. should i put in atf like it had. or will it cause the trans to be worse.

question two what other shifter will fit. i could have sworn i saw a post about a straight shifter fitting this model. thanks in advance for any answers.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
FM145 takes gear oil (GL-4 80W). 80W-90 seems to work ok for most people (myself included when I had the FM146 in my BII). ATF is much too thin for the Mitsubishi transmissions, and is likely why it's whining due to gear and/or bearing damage (the Mazda M5OD is the only RBV (manual) trans that takes ATF, all others use gear oil).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats the difference between gl-4 80w and 80 90

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
GL-4 is the specification for manual transmission gear oil lubricant. 80W-90 oils are often rated GL-5 (typically used in differentials). GL-5 oils have been known to attack brass parts (synchros) in some transmissions. Others don't seem affected, so I'm not sure what the criteria is. The FM-series transmissions seem to be OK with it as far as I can tell.

GL-4 oils are a little harder to find, but if you can find it, I'd go with that first.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks. now is there any other shifter i can put on. a straight one perhaps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals