• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 gen 1 sas build

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Spent some time packing my toolbox and straps and all the trail fixes I could think of and took it about 5 miles down the road and everything is working good so the next time I post it'll be trail pics. I did have to adjust the starter because it wasn't lined up right. I had to through bolt it due to the stripped threads but now it's working like a champ! It's supposed to snow this weekend so hopefully I'll get some of the sloppy terrain I'm used to!

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Damn I wish I had my front dirveshaft already so I could wheel with you

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Damn I wish I had my front dirveshaft already so I could wheel with you
I got the metal to make u a square one if u want to go that route. U just need a double cardan joint and the yolks. I could weld it up in no time at all.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I got the metal to make u a square one if u want to go that route. U just need a double cardan joint and the yolks. I could weld it up in no time at all.

I may hit you up on that. I don't know for sure if I have the clearance for a square shaft, part of my driveshaft will be tight.

And I haven't personally gone there yet, but I've had 3 recommendations for u joints inc. in albuquerque .

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Took the truck out and played in the snow and it did awesome! I got a call a few hours after I went out and a friend got stuck and needed my winch. I jumped in and started in first with the clutch to the floor and it started slightly lurching forward. Wtf. It didn't want to accept gears. Hopefully the clutch just needs bled. It's a brand new clutch. I even did the 4.0 flywheel, clutch, starter set up. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Anyways, I took it through some sketchy trails figuring I'll just pull line if stuck but it crawled through everything nicely. I need gears and lockers though. They are on the list!

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Resovour was dry. It was leaking out the bottom of the bell housing. Filled the res and pumped like crazy and back to norm. I just have to keep watching the res until I can fix it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
cut, roll, and bulge them damn fenders son.....your only half blending in....:thefinger::thefinger:

fatten er up a little....

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

but it is looking real damn good even in skinny jeans...:icon_thumby:

about the diesel swap, like any major powertrain swap....make sure you have it operational outside of the vehicle radiator/fan assembly to transfer case.....get it working stand alone.

from there you can estimate your plumbing and wiring scenarios to a fair degree. once the majority of that is gathered up and collecting dust do the measuring for the real estate estimates from what is under the hood to whats needed by the new system.

then the cross member situations can be mulled over....and i would make the core and inners removable long before the swap is attempted as well.

that is how i am able to do the physical swap processes quickly.... otherwise the hours stack up quick and your not able to drive it.

one guy i did some work for years ago was bragging at the parts store it only took 12 hours to do his swap....(rather for me to install his swap) he forgot about the three different days of tearing apart and reassembling his truck at various points prior over the summer for various preparations and the 20 hours i had into the harness, and 10-15 hours of various adjustments afterwards etc etc etc....

i have been looking at some of the 4bt offerings on the e baaaaae and my old 7.3 lately because i have had some issues with my newer 6.2 engines and really am ready for more power again. prep work alone for the old worn out 7.3 including cups and gaskets is over 200 hours being optimistic... in work life thats 10 weekends....or 6 months. with a family that can turn into a year easy....if my engine was ready to go and in prime shape i would feel differently for sure...

but it is not...soooo, faaaawwwk that.

4bt on the other hand i can get in good running condition with transmissions coolng systems and fead etc.......i think i would have 20 hours prep and a 1 day install. hopefully the 6.2 i am assembling right now holds me over. but for a main wheeler i am not so sure i would want a diesel....i drive the road mostly and its the only reason i run a diesel. if your a diesel guy and comfortable working on them then its a non issue i guess...just some random thoughts on the matter...just want to see your kid on the trail with ya as often as possible....enjoy this time with them as its short....

Last edited:

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you!
I'm not getting into my fenders yet so no need to cut for now. When I upgrade to taller tires I'll cut them up.
On the diesel topic...... I've definately learned from the sas to have all the parts ready to go in before tear down. I'm doing the Perkins diesel because it was free. It was daily driven last summer before the guy tore it down. No wiring issues its a easy engine. I'll keep the truck together until I have everything and spend the winter on the build. I don't dd the truck yet so I have my 03 sd. With the 7.3l. I'm a confident diesel mechanic and welder fabricator.
I'm trying to build a take anywhere vehicle to wheel, tow my pop up camper, and daily drive. I want to visit Moab, Ouray, southern New Mexico, and other places without trailering the ranger. Gas vrs diesel I'd go with diesel. I own three diesels but never a 4 cyl. I've been bothering parts for my 64 f100 for a few years now. I acquired a 6.7l cummins for it, but one project at a time.
The boy loves garage time and trail time the same and any time with him is good for me.
Thanks for the concern and input bobbywalter.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
So I got a call from my mother telling me she can't keep her pop up camper so come get it. Hell yes! It's old but still in good shape! It definately needs lifted a new axle and wheels and tires. A bunch of upgrades will keep me busy until summer. I just got to make the trip to denver to get it.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Damn you scored!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
It's been awhile since I've posted. I've had to steal part from the ranger to fix the tow rig so it's been down for a few weeks. Everything is back up and running! I've been working on the pop up camper to pass the time. Almost ready to take it out and go camping. Getting a itch to go wheeling maybe the weekend after Easter.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Went for a cruise today and explored. Just a couple of pics.

Just can't beat the view here!

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Crossed over into the dark side.

The superduty was on its last leg and I had to get it gone before it died on my watch. Took it on a trip into the hills and it wasn't doing so great.

After that I decided it was time to get something reliable. And this is what the wife had to have. I got to admit it is pretty fun.

I hadn't had it 24 hours and I was wheeling it.

I still have the ranger for the hard stuff but this is my new dd and part time wheeler.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals