• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WHAT DID THEY DO?! And what do I need to?

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
No expectations, no regrets.
Just bought this 88 over the weekend. Have learned a lot about it over the last few days, mainly thanks to all the Awesome guys and information here!!
Heres what I have...
88, 2.9L MPFI, FM146, 7.5LS-3.73, 4-6" lift (?), 33/12.50/15.

This ole girl will be needing a LOT of work.

First and foremost, I need to get it inspected so I am going to have to put muffler and a cat on her...Im thinking Flowmaster 40's and possibly a flowmaster High flow cat.
Secondly, She has so many leaks (Mainly oil), I find it difficult to believe she still runs. Those will need to be fixed....Bars stop leak??? Just kidding:D The engine will pretty much need an overhaul with the exception of the rod bearings and such.
Third, Interior needs a Major re-work. HAHA.
Sounds a lot less than what it is...

As such, I have a few questions but will start with the most obvious...
A-Where do I start?

B-Oil pan Gasket....PIA?? Drain oil, Support the engine, unbolt the mount blocks, lift the engine, pull oil pan, replace gasket, reverse process?

C-Trans gasket...PIA? Looks pretty straightforward and Ive seen the Tech write ups on fluid check/changes.

D-Why the HELL does my coolant overflow hook into my Windshield washer reservoir? I know Ford has done some pretty dumb things but, uh, no......
So, where does the overflow tank go and where can I get one?

E-Oil pressure is fluctuating. One trip, its at 45+ while driving, the next trip its at 30- while driving. Have ana actual oil press. and coolant temp gauge installed...which is nice. So whats up with my pressure?

I'll stop here cuz...that's a lot for now.
Any help guys, much appreciated! :icon_thumby:

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh yeah, Also have a lifter tap that seems to come and go depending on the oil pressure, but may be coincidental.....But its kinda loud.

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
Just bought this 88 over the weekend. Have learned a lot about it over the last few days, mainly thanks to all the Awesome guys and information here!!
Heres what I have...
88, 2.9L MPFI, FM146, 7.5LS-3.73, 4-6" lift (?), 33/12.50/15.

This ole girl will be needing a LOT of work.

First and foremost, I need to get it inspected so I am going to have to put muffler and a cat on her...Im thinking Flowmaster 40's and possibly a flowmaster High flow cat.
Secondly, She has so many leaks (Mainly oil), I find it difficult to believe she still runs. Those will need to be fixed....Bars stop leak??? Just kidding:D The engine will pretty much need an overhaul with the exception of the rod bearings and such.
Third, Interior needs a Major re-work. HAHA.
Sounds a lot less than what it is...

As such, I have a few questions but will start with the most obvious...
A-Where do I start?

B-Oil pan Gasket....PIA?? Drain oil, Support the engine, unbolt the mount blocks, lift the engine, pull oil pan, replace gasket, reverse process?

C-Trans gasket...PIA? Looks pretty straightforward and Ive seen the Tech write ups on fluid check/changes.

D-Why the HELL does my coolant overflow hook into my Windshield washer reservoir? I know Ford has done some pretty dumb things but, uh, no......
So, where does the overflow tank go and where can I get one?

E-Oil pressure is fluctuating. One trip, its at 45+ while driving, the next trip its at 30- while driving. Have ana actual oil press. and coolant temp gauge installed...which is nice. So whats up with my pressure?

I'll stop here cuz...that's a lot for now.
Any help guys, much appreciated! :icon_thumby:
Good luck. First of all, your Cat. I too had to replace my Cat, but the design of the "Y" pipe that comes from your headers to the Cat (it also includes the O2 sensor) will have to be replaced in order for you to use an after market cat. The pipe is oblong in shape and only fits the OEM cat which is VERY expensive ($180, if you can find one) The ideal way to replace the cat would be to find a good welder to make a new "Y" and then weld a O2 bung on it for your sensor, and then place a good, cheaper, Cat in the exhaust.

If your overflow goes into your windshield washer reservoir then someone else did that. The over flow and the windshield reservoir are in the same area but they are separated by a plastic separator.

The oil leaks are not unusual for this model. It most likely is coming from one of your valve covers. Also, the oil over flow on the right valve cover—facing the engine— sometimes leaks. You can seal it with a little household silicone paint caulk.

I'm doing little things on my '90 2.9 myself. My next tackle will most likely be a tranny, which I'm switching out from the 4speed auto to a 5 speed manual. I'd like to drop a 4.0 in, but that is way more than I want spend on this little black hole.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The lifter tick and the oil pressure coming and going together is not coincidence. The 2.9 has issues with top end oiling. If pressure at the mains is 30 PSI, it is probably 15 or less at the lifters. Cam bearings might help, but the oil pump is probably at fault. If you are doing the oil pan gasket you might as well do the pump while you are there.

A high flow cat will net you nothing on a 2.9. It is not a performance engine, and the stock cat is not restrictive enough to cause any flow issues for the 2.9. The exact same cat doesn't cause flow issues on the 4.0.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Do you know When was the last oil change was?
old oil will make your lifters make noise.
adsm08 is right, replace the pump if you pull the pan.

Might want to check if your truck has the redesigned heads. If it has the newer heads then you know the engine has had work done to it. (rebuilt, swapped, crate engine)
The new style came out in 89. due to the old style thin castings made them crack.
I am not saying if you have the old style heads that they are cracked...but they have been known to crack and to be aware of this issue. ( I had a set crack on me a year ago...not fun!)
Here is a article on it:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml

Check your oil when you drain it and see if water is mixed in, or remove your oil cap and see if a bunch of foamy gunk is under it or in the head.

Or you could just sale the truck to me! LOL
No inspections where I am at.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I can kinda confirm the cat thing. I'm using a 4.0 with the 2.9 exhaust and haven't noticed a problem in about a year of driving.

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok Guys. I appreciate all the input. Truly.
Let me ask this....on the cat issue....Would it be feasible to pull an exhaust from a JY model and just swap it out, or would that be a no no? Ive looked around and there seems to be a few that came in earlier this month that "Might" have what I need.
Same question for the heads....Couldn't I find a newer MY and pull the heads? Assuming I need them right now.
And what is this oil over flow you speak of? Never heard of her.
When you say "right" side valve cover, you mean the drivers side right?
That's always how Ive Identified. Working from the front, the right side is the driver side.

I really just need to be able to get this safety inspection done so I can get her legal, then I can start taking care of the other stuff, but the oil leak is one of my top priorities as well.

Indy, I COULD sell the truck to you, but, considering that my diesel is down and the bronco is no where near close enough to road worthy, then I would be without an everyday driver....

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh yeah, Indy, I doubt I have a cracked head or even gasket failure. Ive put oil in it and have noticed no frothy oil or what would appear to be oil with water/antifreeze in it. I intend to run a can of seafoam through the crankcase for about a week, clean some of the crap in there, then change the oil pan gasket, pump, filter and oil.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I was just letting you know about the old head issue as a "heads up" and to check to see what style you had.

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
No, I know. Just explaining "how" I doubt the heads are cracked.. HAHA.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Junkyard cats are do-able IF you can find a junkyard that will sell them. Apparently it's illegal. If you try be sure the flanges on both sides are the same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals