• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blown engine swap 94 v6 4.0l, buncha questions

Colloquialoatmeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Threw a rod in my 94 Ranger (I'm assuming) and it is totally seized. Haven't had the time to tear it down but now in the process of looking at some new engines and had some questions:

Where should I buy a used engine from? I've seen a lot of things listed online under junk yards and then I see the neat looking re-manned engines that come complete for 5x the price. The truck only has 128k miles on the body and I'm looking for something good but am somewhat limited on money. I'd say 1200 is about all I have for this job at the moment.

What's the best way to find someone to help me out with this? I've swapped most things on the engine (water pump, alternator, radiator, etc) but feel like having someone who's done this before would be a good idea. I live near Eugene, Ore if that helps. What's the average cost on a swap and is it cheaper if I take everything out first?

How can I test the transmission to make sure dropping an engine in is worth it? I put 30k on this truck in a year and took it all over the place and it always shifted smooth and went into 4x4 with no strange problems.

If anyone has any answers or good guidance, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Least expensive and best is to rebuild what you have.
Used and even re-manufactured engines are a gamble, re-manufactured have a warranty, as do some used, but it doesn't cover any labor costs.
But with either you are buying an unknown.

First thing I would do is to find out if you did "throw a rod" not a common thing with stock 4.0l OHV.
Seized engine is usually spun main bearing, from overheating or lack of oil.
With Thrown rod you can often move the crank back and forth but not much, and it can crack the block making engine unusable.

So best thing to do is to find out what you have to work with, everything else is just guessing what is best.

You can rent a u-haul pickup and rent an engine hoist for a day to get the engine out, then get the oil pan off and inspect the damage.
I would call a few local machine shops and get costs on rebuilding the lower end, and any head work you may need, just so you have an idea of the costs for that locally, then if pricing out used engines you have a comparison number.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals