• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixing electric transfer case

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I made a comment on a thread a few days ago, and was told it is easy to modify the electric transfer case to stop it from getting stuck in 2wd.

I am referring to a '92 explorer. I was told...

The trouble with the electronic transfer case is not that it is weak or anything, but the motor gets stuck in 2wd. It's an easy fix, replace the plastic bushing with a short length of rubber hose or a zip-tie, clean the connections, and clock the cover for the motor a degree or so counter-clockwise when you put it all back together, and it will work great.

Does anyone have a picture or anything?

Any details or experiences with this that people have had would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
That was me. Go to the tech library, and check out the page on the shift motor.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

This motor is a little different than yours. When you pop it open there will be a white plate with circular contacts going all the way around it. Make SURE before you crack it open that you use a sharpie or something to mark it's position, there is no keyway or indication of what position it was in other than the spots where the screws scratch it when you take it apart. The yellow plastic bushing is on the case side of the gear, it will be the last piece to come out.

When you are removing the shift motor, there are three wires to cut, one plug to undo, and four bolts holding the motor in place. One bolt is on the end of the motor itself, one bolt is on top of the shift motor's gear case, and two bolts are on bottom. A bracket that holds the plug in place will come off with those two lower bolts, too. I don't have pictures, but the job isn't very difficult. I just drove my rear tires up onto ramps and that gave me plenty of room to work.

There is a gasket on the case, too. I just used the blue insta gasket stuff to replace it.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and when you put it together, put it a hair, just a HAIR more counter clockwise than it was before. The biggest issue is the bushing will hit the stop in the case, and the motor, which is a screw drive, will keep pushing it against the stop until the whole thing seizes up. When you take it apart, it will all make sense. Make sure to have a can of electrical contact cleaner, and get the contact plate and contacts nice and clean before you re-assemble.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is a link that will help, as well. Great pics of the steps to take:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1102904

BTW, the brown wire that doesn't desconnect, can be removed from the connector, by digging out the red plastic retainer, then there is a small tab on the side of the pin that is gently pried open just enough for the pin to slide out. (it will lock back in, when you re-insert it).
I did not have to cut ANY wires, and suggest you research more, if you think you need to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals