• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spring swap

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wasn't anything special, just some exploder front springs that I bought off Kolton (thanks bud). It did give me a small lift, but more importantly stiffer springs so that my tires quit hitting my fenders.

last pic is for comparison.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It looks good, but. . .
Your tires will still hit the fenders if you land on the front extra hard. The only way to stop that is to lower the bump stops, cut the fenders, or change to a smaller tire size.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WesB, very nice looking 84! When did it snow in Tyler?????
I found about the still rubbing issue. I was kinda suprised that the 90 BII D35 and Ex springs I put in my 87 suddenly caused my 30s to rub under deflection and tight turn. I thought the D35 in the BIIs was narrower than the one put in the Explorers and it would not be an issue. It did level the truck out though as I had put in ex rear springs 2 years ago and the nose was down a bit. Oh well it's always a conpromise of some kind on these trucks.

Last edited:

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Al, it snowed here a couple of weeks ago. And as far as the tire hitting the fender I wasn't really worried about as I have the 3" lift in the garage, calling my name. I just got the springs/swaybar/bl as a package from Kolton and figured since I bought it I would put it on and see what it does. The pics don't do it justice, it looks like a baja truck to me cuz the nose sits an inch or two higher than the back.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
that's a clean b2.. what's the plans for her?

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the compliments. My plans are exploder rear springs, 3" body lift (that in my garage), differnt wheels (use the current ones for offroad with 31 or 32s), turbo the 2.8 or 302 swap (haven't decided), paint it red, bedliner on the bottom around the fenders/door body line, tube rear bumper. Maybe eventually do a james duff 3" susp lift. I'm always open to susgestions and ideas though. I don't want to cut the truck up as it was my friend's grandfathers truck (he bought it new) and it only had 47K miles when I bought it last april (has almost 51K now) and I'm kinda sentimental and don't want to cut up the rig.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good to hear that you are not cutting it up! I saw a thread somewhere a while back that showed extending the front fenders by grafting in the wheel well area from another fender so it looked factory. I plan to do something like it. I have a 4 inch suspension lift kit in my garage that I'm itching to install on my 88 but with the 3" BL and this lift kit my truck would no fit in my garage.:annoyed: and it is -30ish right now so that is going to wait until breakup here. Anyway good luck with your build and enjoy your BII. I enjoy mine, on most days that is.....

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Paintin it red? That will be cool, but I personally think that the brown/tan you have looks awesome.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't priticularly like the tan, but that's me... imo, it would make a good base for camo!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
can u measure from the ground to the bottom of your front and rear wheelwell for me? what size tires are those? trying to figure out how much higher mine is then stock

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in houston working, but as soon as I get home I will. And the tires are 235/75/15s on 15X8 wheels. Mine looks low on the right rear b/c the rear spring is sagging so I will measure both left and right rear, but the front springs look like they added a couple inches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals