• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires that resist freezing :annoyed:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey anyone from, or have lived in, cold regions got a recomnedation for tires that at least resist freezing. Reason I ask is I have off name 31s on my 87 and they freeze into a D shape at about -30F. And that is way annoying for the couple blocks it takes to return to round. I also wonder what that is doing for the longevity of my shocks, nothing good I'm sure. :sad: However the good ole Wranglers I have on my Chevy don't freeze until about -50F. Of course at those temps eveything freezes.... I've looked on line but funny enough no tire company details when their particular tires freeze. I'm goingto talk to a couple tire places around here but wanted actual experience info afor I for any new tires. Anyway any info/ideas you guys/gals can toss my way I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you running bias ply tires? They can exhibit what you're talking of - usually more than belted radials.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
The softer the tire the more they will get square-tire syndrome. My Kevlar sided Wranglers get it something fierce. It seems the cheaper older steel-belted radials held their round shape better.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any tire will do that... Mine dont cause I'm down in anchorage and the coldest its gotten is like -15 i think. I have a set of wintercat SST's and they haven't frozen yet. BUt to help reduce the D shape I recommend getting them nitrogen filled as it doesn't expand or contract in extreme temperatures.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've got a set of bfg ko's and a set of bfg km2's and it's been -35 here, with absolutely no d shaping that i've noticed... the ko's are nitrogen filled and the km2's are air

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I always thought it was cuz the colder air was denser and thus less tire pressure letting them run 'flatter', prolly need to add alittle air pressure. Otherwise maybe a winter rated tire.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't worry about the shocks. At those temperatures they're probably frozen also, and the tyres will be round before the shock start to move.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is only one real solution to avoiding tire freeze... Buy real winter/snow tires. At about 40 degrees standard tire rubber compounds start to lose their elasticity, and by the time you hit 0, non-winter tires lose a lot of their traction capabilities

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any tire will do that... Mine dont cause I'm down in anchorage and the coldest its gotten is like -15 i think. I have a set of wintercat SST's and they haven't frozen yet. BUt to help reduce the D shape I recommend getting them nitrogen filled as it doesn't expand or contract in extreme temperatures.
What are you doing in Anchorage I thought you were in the cosmic hamlet.:icon_confused:

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Nitrogen does help, I though about filling my MTR-K's but even a little drop is enough for these heavy tires.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Yeah I should put winter tires on it but paying for winter and "summer" tires is more than I can afford right now so I'm just dealing with it. The tires I have on it are Discount Tire Pathfinder All Terrains so of course I knew I was not getting the best tire out there but they have held up well. I got them in Utah and we drove the truck 4K miles up here to AK and have driven here for the last 3 years and the tires are still good. They just do not take the deep temps well at all. Looks like I might have to invest in better tires anyway. Many folks up here have N2 in their tires and it helps but -50 is till -50. Thanks again!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the info. Yeah I should put winter tires on it but paying for winter and "summer" tires is more than I can afford right now so I'm just dealing with it. The tires I have on it are Discount Tire Pathfinder All Terrains so of course I knew I was not getting the best tire out there but they have held up well. I got them in Utah and we drove the truck 4K miles up here to AK and have driven here for the last 3 years and the tires are still good. They just do not take the deep temps well at all. Looks like I might have to invest in better tires anyway. Many folks up here have N2 in their tires and it helps but -50 is till -50. Thanks again!
You must be at Eielson or Wainright or worse yet Greely lol. We have Newfoundland/ Iceland members here I wonder what they run. I have heard that Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires stay the softest in the xtream cold.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah,
I'm at Eielson. Thanks for the tire name/info. Wonder how much those are to get in Alsska? AKA the dark side of the moon when it comes to shipping charges.:annoyed:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah,
I'm at Eielson. Thanks for the tire name/info. Wonder how much those are to get in Alsska? AKA the dark side of the moon when it comes to shipping charges.:annoyed:
I see them all over in Anchorage start checkin tire stores or Nokians site probably has a store locator. And yea I was at Greely ugg back in the day it was a tiny outpost. Hey you still have the A-10's there or are they bye bye.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals