• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on this Navajo?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
http://kpr.craigslist.org/ctd/2173431560.html

I went and drove it. It pops out of gear occasionally but not all the time. For example, it'll pop out of gear if you're in a parking lot and you're just trying to cruise along in 1st gear, then it'll pop. Maybe bad shift forks? Syncro? The rig itself has 160K if I'm remembering right. I like the Navajo..throw a little lift on it, be a nice little wheeler/hunting rig/dd. It's actually in pretty good shape, minus the tranny. Good paint all around, no dents or dings. 4.0 sounds fairly solid, doesn't leak anything.

I'm really debating it. He said the $1095 would be the price out the door, taxes, title transfer, etc. I could probably get it for $1000 out the door, since he had it at $1,300 a week ago.

My other thing I'm debating is buying yet another older rig. I found a 99 Mazda B2500 I'm thinking of buying. Nice little 5 speed, 4 banger extended cab that's in good shape. Dealership is asking $6,000. It'd be a sole DD and hunting rig, no wheeling. But...I'd have a payment for a little while (probably pay it off by summertime or so), which also means full coverage insurance, which sucks. If I got the Navajo, it'd just have liability with no car payment.

But it would be nice to own a little newer-ish rig. I'm torn: older rig = no payment, little insurance and can lift/have fun with later -- or newer rig = payment, insurance, but is a little nicer and fuel efficient.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If he has it listed at 1100, I would say walk in offering 750 cash. Dealers love cash.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, amen to payments sucks.

I'm gonna have to go look again tomorrow. I'm missing having something yo work on, fabbin and lifting and whatnot.

Any ideas on the tranny? I wouldn't think it'd be totally blown if it drives find in the other gears.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Check and see how sloppy the shifter is. Might just need a bushing kit.

I'd go in and throw $600 on the counter. They probably only have a couple hundred into it. The trans issue is working in your favor here... tell them it's something serious and will need a trans so it's not worth what they're asking.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd go in with 750 cash, no more... offer him 6 for it... it is NOT a syncro, syncros are to get it in gear, nothing else... it could be a sign of trouble to come... it could be nothing but an annoyance to have to put it back into gear... i'd do it up though...

here's how i bought my f-250, guy asks 900 for the truck, i go with 500, offered him 400, he said he agreed with his wife it wasn't going to leave for less than 5, i told him i'd meet him half way at 450, paused, told him i only had 20's i'll make it 460 and it's gone out of his yard in about 20 minutes... i test drove it on the way home...

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sharp looking, but so was my explorer lol. Just keep in mind that you can use the Tranny in your favor, and I agree with the 750 bit. If he says no you can always go after the 99, but 6k for a 99 is a bit high sounding. A bare bones 99 with 100k + or - is rated at about 4150 in EXCELLENT condition.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 6000 one, it's dd and hunting? hunting as far as i'm concerned is off roading, it may not be hardcore trails, but i've seen hunting trails that were more technical than some of the 4x4 trails i've been on... if you have taken your truck somewhere, more than once, that a 2wd vehicle will not make, it's been offroading, bottom line

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Haha, that is IDENTICAL to my truck. Same color, same color interior, everything. I fit 31's and they only rub a little at full lock. Go for it, I LOVE my truck, and recently dropped $1600 into it in new parts like bearings, shocks, tires, brakes, bushings, ect. It's perfect for going out hunting and wheels rather well stock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals