• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer, Auto, electric case, questions galore!!!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm building my b2 on a broke college kid working part time budget... lol
search for used stuff... new gears will run you around $200 or more
lol Yeah, Im running on a broke college kid with a 4-month old baby budget. Its rough. My truck gets none of the attention it deserves... But such is life.

The first step before searching for gears is to buy a new truck and get rid of the old one, wether it be sold as is, or parted out and wrecked I dont know yet...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing off your BII will be an upgrade for the Explorer. The trouble with the electronic transfer case is not that it is weak or anything, but the motor gets stuck in 2wd. It's an easy fix, replace the plastic bushing with a short length of rubber hose or a zip-tie, clean the connections, and clock the cover for the motor a degree or so counter-clockwise when you put it all back together, and it will work great.
Easy fix eh? Where is the motor located? Do you need to drop the transfer case to get to it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
on the back of the t-case.. easy to get to.. no problem at all!

don't waste the money on a 1354m unless its hella cheap.
i want one b/c sometimes we tow my b2 behind the rv and that way i wouldn't have to pull the driveshaft.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
on the back of the t-case.. easy to get to.. no problem at all!

don't waste the money on a 1354m unless its hella cheap.
i want one b/c sometimes we tow my b2 behind the rv and that way i wouldn't have to pull the driveshaft.
I got a wrecker thats like a 1 hour drive away with really good prices, $96 for a transfer case, same price for a tranny... So potentially they are not that costly at all, especially if I catch them on sale. Trannies are on sale for $49 right now, damn...

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To answer your question aBOUT the computer, the BII comp. wont work the Ex and the Ex wont work the BII. Keep the computers with the engine they are with now.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but what about an auto ex comp on a manual ex trans? or does he need the manual computer

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That will work. My 88 BII with the 4.0 swap has an auto computer hooked to a manual. It acts a little funny sometimes and will through a CEL but it will work. By funny I mean that every-so-often at a red light or something the idle surges but will clear up if you gas it a little and let it idle back down. Sorry I had read a bunch of stuff and got the question wrong.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That will work. My 88 BII with the 4.0 swap has an auto computer hooked to a manual. It acts a little funny sometimes and will through a CEL but it will work. By funny I mean that every-so-often at a red light or something the idle surges but will clear up if you gas it a little and let it idle back down. Sorry I had read a bunch of stuff and got the question wrong.
So it does work, but it causes funny idle problems here and there? Okay. fair enough. Makes sense the computer program would have issues here and there... And thus, it would probably be ideal to a new computer, but not a huge deal either way.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, pick one up if you can... if not. oh well. lol

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing off your BII will be an upgrade for the Explorer. The trouble with the electronic transfer case is not that it is weak or anything, but the motor gets stuck in 2wd. It's an easy fix, replace the plastic bushing with a short length of rubber hose or a zip-tie, clean the connections, and clock the cover for the motor a degree or so counter-clockwise when you put it all back together, and it will work great.
Can anyone elaborate on this, or provide pictures or anything?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals