• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger radio problem

jw1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger is an automatic with the 6 disc cd changer radio from ford. On a couple of ocassions the radio has cut off while travelling down the road. After stopping I found that the sound comes back on when the transmission is in park or neutral but would not work if in drive or reverse.

Has anyone else had this problem and have you found out what caused it. The only time it has done this is when it was raining or high humidity.

Thanks

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
mine just starting doing the same thing, does not work in drive, reverse, l1 etc does work in park or neutral.
WHY?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
engine running, put it in drive, turn on your highbeams. then, turn on the ignition (engine off) and shift into drive.

if the radio works in both instances, disconnect the bright pink w/ black stripe wire from the back of the radio. Mine did this, nothing i can find lists the wire, and i have no clue why it does it, but it fixed my problem. the wire according to all shop manuals doesnt exist, and even ford doesnt kow whats causing it. the wire gave me 0Volts with engine off ignition on, 7.2V on low beam, 6.2 on high beam. its overpowering something, and killing the audio.

leave enough wire to connect it again if needed. if i find a fix for it ill post it here.

some think its the shift position sensor, its not (unless you lose power to the radio in drive, no light or controls)
some also think its the GEM, but i check mine with a solus pro and everything was fine.

Last edited:

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
engine running, put it in drive, turn on your highbeams. then, turn on the ignition (engine off) and shift into drive.

wow, I would not have guessed that sequence. I also noticed the seatbelt minder does not go off.

I did pull fuses number 6 and number 24, to basically try a reset. Fuse #24 did work, I have driven it twice and it still works, just keeping my fingers crossed. I read somewhere else that is a transmission MLP sensor???

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
as have i, but disconnecting mine did nothing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals