• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dumb fuel system question

spoolintsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so I have a 99 ranger flex fuel, and I'm looking to get rid of the evap canister behind the fuel tank. I have read many threads of people saying you can and can't delete this. So my nOOB question of the day is, whats the real truth behind this? Can it go, and if so what do i need to do other than unhooking it and capping of the line from the tank? I'm not concerned about fuel economy or anything. Its just in my way, and i'd rather it wasn't there. Sorry for the dumb question lol. Thanks guys

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You cannot and may not delete the evap system. Emissions system tampering is a federal felony, it will cause running issues on an OBDII vehicle, which you have, and if you have any sort of safety or emissions inspections in your area you will likely get yourself an automatic fail by deleting it. Even in areas that don't have emissions inspections but do have safety inspection the SI frequently includes a visual check of the emissions controls to see that they are present and appear to be functional.

If it is actually physically in the way of something you are trying to do with the truck it can be relocated to a more convenient spot.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just courious...how is this canister "in your way"? There's plenty of room between the frame rails of the bed, and this canister occupies less than a foot of that space.

It captures the fumes from the gas tank, and allows them to be reburned, allowing us to have some cleaner air to breathe. Why remove it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals