• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

universal timing cover with crank position sensor on carburated engine

l0sts0ul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ok, sounds dumb, but hear me out.

got a universal timing cover for my 79 302 mexican. now, I go to see how to setup timing, and find holes for a crank position sensor, but I can't install a timing pointer.

HOWEVER, my balancer that came with my kit has 3 sets of timing marks on it, can I just build a custom pointer, and use the other marks? if so, how to I know where my base timing is set to zero so I can make sure my pointer marks line up 0, to where its supposed to be. if the 1st cylinder is on TDC at the beginning of the intake stroke should the timing mark be at 0? depending or no matter what set of marks I use?

by the way its a performance products harmonic balancer

http://www.professional-products.com/6-4-Early-Small-Block-Ford-28-4-oz-in-Harmonic-Damper-p418.html

thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TDC(top dead center) is when the piston is at the top of the cylinder, it has nothing to do with the valve positions or the "stroke" it may be on.

For #1 TDC remove #1 spark plug and rotate crank until piston is at the top(TDC)
If possible add your timing pointer to line up with existing mark/line for "0" on balancer, if not possible then make your own mark on balancer.

Because we are dealing with a 4-stroke engine, the crank needs to turn 2 full revolutions, 2 up and 2 down strokes, for one complete cycle.
This is why the Cam timing gear is twice the size of the crank gear, the cam only rotates once during the complete 4-stroke cycle.
The Cam is what sets the "strokes"

So #1 TDC comes around twice, at the start of the power stroke and the start of the intake stroke.

But as far as the TDC mark is concerned you just need #1 TDC marked.

The balancer is 360deg regardless of size, so if the TDC line is at 12:00, then 3:00 would be the 90deg mark
1/2 the distance between those marks would be 45deg, 1/2 again would be 22.5deg, 1/2 again 11.25deg, 1/2 again 5.5deg(close enough, lol)
So if you need exact degrees you can use that method for BTDC

Last edited:

l0sts0ul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. So you're saying put cylinder 1 at TDC and I can set marks and pointers however I want at that point?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, what ever is the easiest to do and, of course, to point a timing light at :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals