• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 4x4 302 swap

bert0427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I am starting a 302 swap in my ranger. I have just got a 302 (rebuilding it)and it will be carbureted. I am looking for any kind of heads up or advise for what to look for and be aware of. I have been reading the tech article for the swap and I am having a hard time finding a c4 4x4 (savannah ga). I have found c6 4x4 but don't know if It will put my drive shaft at too much of an angle. I guess I am just wandering if anyone thinks a c6 would be ok or if I should keep tring to find a c4 4x4? any input would be awesome. I am also trying to find a manual transfercase.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I run a C-6 mated to a Dana 20 transfer case. Yes the angle is tough on this set up. I had to grind some off the T-case yoke to stop the binding there (front D shaft). I had custom shafts made at a tractor/implement shop) Dana 20 case to Dana 35 frot/8.8 rear. If you go this route make sure the C-6 is the 4x4 model. I had to shorten the output shaft to run the adapter (advance adapters, adapter) It came with a new spud shaft for the transfer case. The 2wd C-6 is different (mine is out of a 84 F-150) The transfer case out of the 150 put my front driveshaft hitting the Radius arms. I used a DUFF early bronco 4wd shifter with some mods as well.

Now about the C-6......
They are bulletproof stock. I wheel mine with a 347 Stroker (about 425hp), but they are a HP pig (takes a lot to spin them). I added a B&M Torque Master torque converter to mine and thats it. I have never overheated mine. I use a DUFF V-8 swap radiator with the hook ups for the auto. The starter was another issue altogether. I run a mid 90's truck starter otherwise the stock starter (my engine block is a '69) grounds out on the headers and will just keep on grinding (starting the engine) until it fries itself out. I do have to run a heat shield and header wrap on that side.

They work with a little work, but if I was to do it all again I would hold out for the C-4/Dana 20 combo (they came stock this way in the Bronco/F100 series). If you look at this make sure the Dana 20 is the 4spd version, some came with just 4hi/2hi/N. You want the 4L/4H/2h/N.

I did my swap back in late 99 early 2000, so lots of stuff that is out now wasnt around then, we made it work though.

Last edited:

bert0427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a lot for the input. I guess I am going to keep on trying to find the c4 set up like your talking about at least while I am trying to build the engine. once I am actually ready for the transmission I guess that's when I will have to really chose but hopefull I will find the c4 setup.

I have found plenty of c4 2wd transmissions but I' not sure how difficult it is to convert on of those to 4x4 ? are the parts exspensive. also I have never been into a transmissions but I am up to try. (or should I?)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals