• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer AC in TTB truck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. Has anyone on here made the Explorer FEAD A/C system work in an older TTB truck?
2. What did you use for the radiator and fan(s)?
3. How the compressor fits with the steering box?
4. Explorer lines fit or did they change the thread or something goofy?

It has been a nice summer, my HD 1st gen Explorer radiator and low profile flex fan have worked perfectly... don't know how it will go with a condenser dumping heat in front of the radiator on a hot summer. With my bodylift I think I have the depth available to get away with a 5.0 Explorer radiator but pushing it ahead to run the Explorer fan I don't know how I am going to do with room between the grille and radiator.

It pains me to clutter up my engine bay with the bulky AC heater box again but it is hard to talk to a passenger with all three windows open.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
SVT is running AC....

SVT

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SVT is running AC....

SVT
Ok, at least there is room for the compressor and two efans will cool it.

For everything else your truck is the same as an Explorer :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like for the power steering pump Ford went to a metric thread for the Explorers, is there any similar hurdles with the AC lines going to the evaporator or condenser?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I would love to have A/C in the ranger but it runs at a constant 190-200 degrees once warmed up and stays there despite my Taurus fan running all the time and having an explorer 5.0 three core rad. That is just driving it in town and rarely does it see highway. Don't know if a tstat change to a lower temp would do the trick or what. If the coolant sat in the rad for even 30 more seconds then it should run cooler according to my new temp gauge. Turned my idle down too 850 rpm because there was no reason to run it at 1,000 rpm other then it warmed up faster.

Thinking about either trying a tbird efan, doing dual fans or probably do what's sounds best, make a fan shroud that covers the entire rad to make the fan pull air through all the rad.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If your running the taurus fan, then its your T stat, which for the stock explorer 5.0 is 195. The AC lines in my ranger I had a line spliced at the hydraulic shop, but if you're using the stock explorer condenser, then the explorer lines should be plug n play...

SVT

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would love to have A/C in the ranger but it runs at a constant 190-200 degrees once warmed up and stays there despite my Taurus fan running all the time and having an explorer 5.0 three core rad. That is just driving it in town and rarely does it see highway. Don't know if a tstat change to a lower temp would do the trick or what. If the coolant sat in the rad for even 30 more seconds then it should run cooler according to my new temp gauge. Turned my idle down too 850 rpm because there was no reason to run it at 1,000 rpm other then it warmed up faster.

Thinking about either trying a tbird efan, doing dual fans or probably do what's sounds best, make a fan shroud that covers the entire rad to make the fan pull air through all the rad.
That is what mine runs with a 2 core 91-94 HD radiator. I never hear the efan run unless I leave it sit and idle... the low profile flex fan doesn't move enough air at idle apparently. Stock 195 stat.

If your running the taurus fan, then its your T stat, which for the stock explorer 5.0 is 195. The AC lines in my ranger I had a line spliced at the hydraulic shop, but if you're using the stock explorer condenser, then the explorer lines should be plug n play...

SVT
I don't have a condenser so I guess I could do whatever there but I am kinda committed to the 83-94 evaporator. I don't want to build a new evaporator housing from scratch too badly.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm running a 192 degree tstat, fan sensor switch is triggered to turn on at 195 and off at 185. Watching the temp gauge, the tstat doesn't open for the first time till 210 degrees then after that dips down to 170 then stables out at where I said.

Is it good that it sits at a steady temp with a 10 degree fluctuation? I need to add a light into the fan wiring so that I can see if it is on while I'm going down the highway but also hook up the high speed setting to be safe.

Really thinking of doing the Volvo wiring setup in the tech library.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wheels have been turning, fitment research has been somewhat done (gawked at a first gen truck in a JY with factory AC)

Anybody have AC on a V8 first or second gen truck running a 4.0 91-94 Explorer radiator? What are you running for fans? Work well?

My radiator is on the stock mounts which I guess is where it has to be for the condenser to fit in front of it. It can't really go in front of the radiator support without getting into a bunch of stuff if I pushed the radiator ahead. My low pro flex fan does ok unless I let the truck sit and then the pusher efan will eventually kick in... but the pusher is where the condenser goes.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know about fitment but I notice first gens generally have both condenser lines on the PS, second gens have one on each side.

Haven't decided which way to go yet. If the stuff goes the right way having one on each side would eliminate a hose going across the engine.

Explorers also use a big manifold hose assembly vs the individual lines for my Ranger so any chances of using a hose without splicing something together is out. Hopefully the hoses are similar sized. :sad:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be nice to know how to cram both a condenser, a radiator and a efan of some sort on front of a 5.0 that keeps everything cool though...

gearheadfred5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1995 Ranger and I am thinking about getting the A/C working on truck. I did the swap back in 2005, and have the Explorer FEAD with the compressor mounted. I have the Ranger condenser, but the inlet to the A/C uses the garter spring mount on both sides, and the Explorer uses the bolt in connector. I was looking at the dimensions of the 5.0 Explorer condenser and it is larger than the Ranger. I would like to have factory replacement parts as opposed to custom made hoses, in case of failure in the future. Has anyone used the 5.0 Explorer condenser in a 1997 and older Ranger?

Thanks, Fred.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
On the passenger side the hose that bolts to the condenser will interchange, the connection at the accumulator is the same for other trucks. The driver side has to be modified.

SVT

gearheadfred5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, SVT. I think I am going to have to rethink this, I was laying out the Explorer hose assembly and it crosses over the top of the engine, right where my distributor is. Looks like this is going to be a complete custom hose assembly, or just go without air.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I have changed the fitting at the condenser, its not as hard as it seems...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals