• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will 5R55E from 2001 Explorer fit 1998 Ranger..

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
guy has one in a 2001 Explorer Sport. Will it fit my Ranger 4x4 ? 5R55E, 4.0 engine.
would have to go a good distance to pick it up, so i would like to definitely know if it would work. thanks

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Assuming you have the 4R in your Ranger, yes all you have to do is swap the gear selector from your trans to the 5R. You won't have 5th gear as it is controlled by the computer, and your computer is a 4 speed.

Keep in mind the starter is also different.

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had to replace my 5R55E transmission not too long ago... Went to the local junk yard, got one with 61k from an 01 Explorer for $375. I haven't had any issues. Just keep the trans range sensor (where your linkage meets up with the trans to shift it into gear) or else you will have problems starting it because it's out of adjustment for your truck... Mine has that every once in a while. All I do is crawl underneath, unplug it for a few seconds and replug it back in and it starts fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals