• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone sell steering column extensions???

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I want to do a custom body lift, and it seems I need to find an extension for my steering column...
I know body lift kits come with one, but can you buy just the extension?
Thanks.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
might want to contact performance accessories and see if they would sell that extender separate?

Performance Accessories
3651 N. Hwy 89
Chino Valley, AZ 86323 US
P: 928.636.3103
F: 928.636.3143

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Damn, Summit Racing wants $50 for one, and it is a Performance Accessories part... balls. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just changed my 88 over to Explorer intierior and have the shaft extension that was in it I no longer need. Give me an address and it's yours.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Matthew Sutherland.
#306 1010 St. Andrews St
New Westminster, BC, Canada.
v3m 1w3.

That would be freakin' amazing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
dude...you dont need an extension for an 88. the shaft will telescope out enough to work.

even if you want one a trip to the hardware for some 3/4 bar stock scrap and a fe minutes with a 12 dollar drill bit and your off and running.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude...you dont need an extension for an 88. the shaft will telescope out enough to work.

even if you want one a trip to the hardware for some 3/4 bar stock scrap and a fe minutes with a 12 dollar drill bit and your off and running.
Not in my case. My 88 shaft had no extensio ability, hence the extension bar. I put in an explorer dash and steering column and it fit 2 incches further into the engine bay so I no longer need it.

Surrey,
It'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dude you are my hero. Thanks a ton.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
y not just shell out the 80 bux for a whole kit from summit?, some things its best to have a kit

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Not in my case. My 88 shaft had no extensio ability, hence the extension bar. I put in an explorer dash and steering column and it fit 2 incches further into the engine bay so I no longer need it.

Surrey,
It'll be in the mail tomorrow.
hmmm. never seen an 88 that didnt pull out. do you have a pic of it? i know they do exist, just like to see the difference:icon_thumby:

i would put a gen one dash in something before a newer one too:D....i dont like the newer dashboards at all.

really, i would use aerostar linkage as i hate rag joints, but the general easy saturday afternoon install solution till better parts are sourced is sliding the shaft out a bit.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm. never seen an 88 that didnt pull out. do you have a pic of it? i know they do exist, just like to see the difference:icon_thumby:

i would put a gen one dash in something before a newer one too:D....i dont like the newer dashboards at all.

really, i would use aerostar linkage as i hate rag joints, but the general easy saturday afternoon install solution till better parts are sourced is sliding the shaft out a bit.
Well first of all, Surrey sorry to have :threadjacked: this post just a bit.

I tossed that steering column as I no longer needed it and need the space more and I always seem to forget taking pics if what I do even though I own like 5 cameras, go figure:icon_confused:.

My story started with the tranny failing and I had a 92 Explorer with no title, so...... That's how I ended up with the exporer dash/steering and everything else, though I like the gen II dash myself.

Not sure if I heard anything about Aerostar linkage before. I'll have to look into that, hmmmm.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Well first of all, Surrey sorry to have :threadjacked: this post just a bit.

I tossed that steering column as I no longer needed it and need the space more and I always seem to forget taking pics if what I do even though I own like 5 cameras, go figure:icon_confused:.

My story started with the tranny failing and I had a 92 Explorer with no title, so...... That's how I ended up with the exporer dash/steering and everything else, though I like the gen II dash myself.

Not sure if I heard anything about Aerostar linkage before. I'll have to look into that, hmmmm.
yeah...thread jack...but when the op is getting free parts i dont think its a hate causin issue:D.

rare for me to make any pics, i was just hoping your were a younger guy...seems the younger a guy is the more pics they make...

this is the box end. real nice for v8 swaps too:icon_thumby:

easy to modify these units to work. in the early rangers the rag joint with a body lift is pretty crappy and wears too fast, not too mention with big tires it really get squishy.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey,
Your only as young as you feel! Though I should take more pictures just so I can remember what I was doing. :icon_rofl: Agreed the thread jack is muted by the free part but just felt like the courteous thing to do. I like that Areostar joint and indeed that looks as if it would be better for a V-8 swap. The 302 we put in Grimity's truck is hitting the steering gear pretty hard. This might be the ticket. Thanks for the pic and mentioning this mod! Also I dig the schedule 40 looking reduction joint in the pic!

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Hey,
Your only as young as you feel! Though I should take more pictures just so I can remember what I was doing. :icon_rofl: Agreed the thread jack is muted by the free part but just felt like the courteous thing to do. I like that Areostar joint and indeed that looks as if it would be better for a V-8 swap. The 302 we put in Grimity's truck is hitting the steering gear pretty hard. This might be the ticket. Thanks for the pic and mentioning this mod! Also I dig the schedule 40 looking reduction joint in the pic!
thats off the air compressor:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals