• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Console lights...blinking

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, ive been trying to do alot of free or cheap stuff to my b2 to get everything as right as i can get it, and im having some wiring issues. Ok heres the deal. On my console display thing that shows the lights and low fuel
(borrowed image)

ok anyways, a while after i got my b2 the "tail lamp" light come on when i had my headlights on, but i do not have any lamps out, and all my bulbs are new. sometimes it would do it and sometimes it wouldnt. but now it stays on when my headlights are on. ok second thing. i went to do the fm146 swap and i run the fuel level pretty low and the low fuel light was on when i parked it. after the swap the light come on and then it started flashing a couple miles down the road. ive never run it down that low so i thought "thats cool it comes on and then flashes when u are about to be walking" well after i got gas the light stayed flashing and still does no matter how much fuel is in it.

normally i would just unplug the thing, i want to put a panel there anyways for switches or guage or something. but i like the idea of a low fuel light.

ok my question is what would make this thing go haywire like that? all the wiring is complete for it and it is connected good. also could i just buy a indicator light to put on the dash to come on when the fuel level gets low by tapping into that wire, or would it still flash all teh time like it does now?

also when i hit the test button sometimes the lights wont light up on it unless i hold it down and kinda move it funny(like tilt and push at the same time) could it be just a bad display?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Seems like a bad display wire somewhere (possible ground issue).

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
ill check it out if its not raining tomorrow. i was thinking maybe i messed something up when i did the fm146 swap but i didnt even get close to any wires besides the neutral safety and tcc from the a4ld.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just asking did you get your buckets lowered?I wanted more travel than spacers so I raised mine 1 1/2"and put 4" lift springs in so I was curious.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
yup, i did a write up on it in the 4x4 suspension forum. i made sure i drilled my new holes so i didnt get too close to the factory ones so i can put em back to stock if need be. im happy with it. dropped em 1.5" and got 2.25" exactly as planned

before measurements at fenders were 33.5, new measurements 35.75

still gotta put the shackles on the back, and camber bushings to allign it...o well thats this weekend

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A pair of ranger blocks would make it sit about right in back.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i got some chevy shackles i aint had a chance to put in for 2" more lift in the back. make it ride better and flex better too. already have aal's but i dont really like blocks. i have a 2" block if i can find another one...someone it got lost

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On your original subject, console lamp out module, It kinda sounds like you may have some wires shorting. The harness runs on the drivers' side of the shifter hump on the floorboard. The book says if you have aftermarket headlights, (halogens, ect) can result in false or no warnings. Also underneath the display, down in the console itself, there is the module itself, with connectors. You might check that for issues. It sounds like it may just be going bad, though.

You can just disconnect the module with no repercusions, as it is not integral to the operation of any of the circuits. You just won't have a low fuel warning light. I figure if I run out of fuel because of not seeing that light, I was probably asleep at the wheel, anyway. They make this really cool gaget that is on the other side of the steering wheel that is supposed to tell me how much fuel I actually have, assuming I look at it. ;)

I replaced my center console with one from an Explorer that had the arm rest, and relocated my lamp out module and indicator panel into the ashtray slot in my dash. Now I can actually see it. Since there is NO SMOKING in my BII, and I replaced the cig lighter with a power outlet from an EXPL, I like it a lot better there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals