• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What the heck Bronco II?

mcstein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck is driving me nuts. I've been having hesitation problems. Read about it on my last thread here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99297

I checked out the accelerator pump which looked fine but when I put it back it works no more. So I thought, "gee, I must have broken it messing around with it." So I replaced it and still the same thing. The truck idles but as soon as I press the gas pedal it dies. With the new pump it sputters a bit 1st. I'm guessing something must be clogging it up and not letting enough fuel get through. I just don't understand why taking the accelerating pump off and on would make it stop working if the new one didn't fix it. Any ideas? I think I'm going to get a rebuild kit and open her up. Unfortunatley it's about to dump snow and other vehicle (94 ford E250) is 2wd and has crap for tires and I live on the side of the mountain.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i would check that the electronic choke was set right, my 84's was broken and it would keep it choked until i opened the hood to open the choke plate and would die as soon as i hit the gas when the choke was on. you may also want to check the fuel pump and all rubber fuel lines for cracks and leaks. because if you have to pour gas into it to get it started that means that your fuel system isn't staying pressureised. and sorry if none of this makes much sence its like 4 am here.

headhunter257

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
had a 87
had a
Make / Model
bronco 2 87
br
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
on my bronco same thing i found out about 3 months later playing with everything it was the fuel line with rust in it hope i helped

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There's a check valve somewhere that allows fuel into the pump chamber and then closes when the pump is activated thereby forcing the fuel to exit by the venturi jets. Can't remember exact location and can't find my diagrams at the moment but is usually a small ball that drops into a specific location, or drops on the floor and disappears.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There's a check valve somewhere that allows fuel into the pump chamber and then closes when the pump is activated thereby forcing the fuel to exit by the venturi jets. Can't remember exact location and can't find my diagrams at the moment but is usually a small ball that drops into a specific location, or drops on the floor and disappears.
You talking about the one that's under the venturi jets when they're removed...usually has a metal rod above it I believe?

Crippled Eagle

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not an expert on Bronco 2s and Rangers, just here is what I have observed in the time I have owned mine.
I have 2 84 Bronco 2s both with the 2.8 V6. Both still have the original TFI ignition systems on them for now.
The one I drive regularly has the same problem. When it wants to, it runs great and at other times one can hardly get it to move without slipping the clutch while attempting to rev the engine.
I had no fuel coming out of my discharge nozzles in my carb so I put a new accelerator pump and the red rubber valve that is in the body of the carb behind the pump. I had then the right amount of fuel being discharged into the carb when I pressed the footfeed. I buttoned everything up and went to drive it and it acted a lot like my pump wasn't working again. I checked and it was so I am assuming it might have to do with the processor that adjusts timing and mixture in the carb. I have proper fuel flow into my carb and the float is set properly. Some days I fight it like this all day when it seems it is not getting the right amount of fuel but other days it runs like a new vehicle leading me to conclude it has to do with running 26 year old sensors and processor.
I am planning on doing the Duraspark conversion soon along with changing the carb to a non-feedback card. I've already bought a Motorcraft 2150 carb with the venturi size of 1.08 and have the Duraspark wiring for the Duraspark module to the distributor. I'm very lucky that the 1984 Ranger and Bronco 2 was available with Duraspark ignition when it came equipped with the 4 cylinder engine so the Duraspark wiring is already existent in my wiring loom on my 84 Bronco 2 making the conversion much simpler.
I'll bet when I get this changed it will run so much better. I believe the processor is just trying to do it's job and set the engine to running correctly but is being hindered by unreliable sensors whose lifespan probably ended many years ago.
There is a conversion that a lot of the Jeep guys use involving using a 2150 carb on their 6 cylinders and also using a GM HEI module and a Ford TFI coil whereby one can run a full 12 volts to the module and with the Ford coil it puts out a lot more spark when needed. I may try this one as well on my other Bronco 2 when it is back to running.
Any thoughts?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The vacuum pod with the 90 degree nipple on the front of the carb is a valve that when vacuum is applied it turns off the accelerator pump. check to make sure it goes to the proper solenoid i think the one closest to the battery. the computer controls the vacuum to it according to throttle position i believe. what it does is bypass the venturi booster and just circulates the fuel in the float bowl. I cant remember but it should be either vacuum on or off for the accelerator pump.

Crippled Eagle

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good to know this. I was a Ford certified tech back in the early 80s but I don't ever remember running across this problem although I might of and just forgot after all of these years. Guess I'll get my vacuum pump out and see which mode works.
I won't have this problem much longer though as I already have a 2150 to replace it (non-feedback).
On a related note: Does anyone know of a Duraspark distributor that will physically replace the TFI distributor other than the Mustang 2/Bobcat/Capri distributors? I have been looking through my interchange manuals attempting to find one and of course they say that even the ones of the same vehicle and year with different options will not interchange.
The vacuum pod with the 90 degree nipple on the front of the carb is a valve that when vacuum is applied it turns off the accelerator pump. check to make sure it goes to the proper solenoid i think the one closest to the battery. the computer controls the vacuum to it according to throttle position i believe. what it does is bypass the venturi booster and just circulates the fuel in the float bowl. I cant remember but it should be either vacuum on or off for the accelerator pump.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

Crippled Eagle

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess what I am trying to find out is are there any other Ford 6 cylinder distributors that are physically the same other than the ones already mentioned. I was able to make up an electronic ignition for my old 223 6 cylinder in my 1964 F100 by using the internals from a later model Duraspark distributor as the 223 housing was the same as a later distributor. I'm sure that Ford didn't like to change things when designing parts for new applications so I am assuming that they tried to use common sized parts with spring and weight changes as well as different rates for the vacuum advance. I have access to a distributor machine back and have used it to tune in distributors to various "toys" so changing weights and springs and such are really no problem for me.
Should there be another choice for distributors, it might help those searching the scrapyards and salvages to find easier found stuff. I've yet to see any Mustang 2s, Bobcats, Pintos or Capris in the salvages or scrapyards for a long time.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals