• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this guy a genius or a whackjob??

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I like the drivetrain. The 2.8 is a pretty simple motor, and with the manual trans, atlas t-case, D35, 9-inch, and 5.14 gears.....it should go anywhere. I would get rid of some of the inspector gadget/James Bond stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

D4N63R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I like the drivetrain. The 2.8 is a pretty simple motor, and with the manual trans, atlas t-case, D35, 9-inch, and 5.14 gears.....it should go anywhere. I would get rid of some of the inspector gadget/James Bond stuff.

I agree. It's a well excecuted case of over axled under powered. Which is the best for reliable wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Base engine is probably one of the toughest engines put in a RBV... but was stuck with a craptacular fuel and ignition system in a RBV.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size

For 1/10th the price that this guy thinks it deserves. He'd be better off separating the drive train. The axles and atlas are the only things that provide actual value to it. Everything else is only worth money to him

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For 1/10th the price that this guy thinks it deserves. He'd be better off separating the drive train. The axles and atlas are the only things that provide actual value to it. Everything else is only worth money to him
A used axle is worth what $100-200?

I think I paid $100 for my '95 D35... and it didn't have a ton of holes drilled in the beams for a funky leafspring skidplate.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Didn't he have some kind of locker in the rear? ARB or something...? A 9" with 5.13's and a good locker could be worth $500-1000, I'd pay at least a couple hundred for just a D35 center section with 5.13's if I was looking. Some good parts there.

The engine, trans are trash. Boat anchors, scrap weight, etc. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if I never saw another 2.8 again but I know there are some that like them.

The only way he has $100k into that rig is if he is counting thousands of hours of his own labor. At that rate I am sitting on half a mil of vehicles!

I like my offroad rigs simple and easy to fix. The miles of hoses, wires, and other crap in that thing would be a nightmare to troubleshoot on the trail. No thank you.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Didn't he have some kind of locker in the rear? ARB or something...? A 9" with 5.13's and a good locker could be worth $500-1000, I'd pay at least a couple hundred for just a D35 center section with 5.13's if I was looking. Some good parts there.
Right, I bet you could get $1500-2000 for the axles without too much trouble depending on how well maintained they are

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would be sitting on the axles a long time around here.

9" with 4.10's would move much faster for a drag car. Really IMO if you need 5.13's a bigger axle would be a much better investment.

D35, unless you sell the locker to a Jeeper you are confined to finding someone building a 20-30yo RBV. And IMO the same rule applies to 5.13's, probably need a bigger axle if you are gearing that deep.

The guy that built the truck could get by with the gearing and tire size because he only had 110hp to throw around.

They might be worth a lot of money to someone but finding the someone may take awhile.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Those 5.13's would be just perfect for a 4 cylinder Ranger rock crawler on say, 33's. Nobody out here rock crawls in TTB rigs though.

The 9" would get snapped up in about 10 seconds. I would run a 9" over just about anything else unless I just had to have 8 lug wheels. They may not be ideal for a lot of HP in the mud but for rock crawling, it's perfect. Light, lots of ground clearance, ton of aftermarket support, non c-clip, and you can weld stuff anywhere on them.

There are a lot of Jeep guys out here running Dana 44's, 8.8's, etc on the hardest trails in the hills and not breaking stuff, but on the other hand it's pretty common to see the bigger rigs destroy D60/70/14 bolt parts, RCVs, etc. I am convinced that bigger is not always better.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was built for running over hoards of zombies. We will all, if we survive the initial outbreak, be doing this to our trucks. Like Roo Bars.

It will kiel.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals