• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why do my new front brakes with CarQuest blue ("Premium") pads get stinky

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just did my brakes and I used Raybestos rotors and CarQuest "Premium" semimetal pads. When I hit the brakes hard (this happened twice now), they get that stinky brake smell like when a big truck is trying to stop on a downhill. They only have about 150-200 miles on them. There is a light, even coating of black dust on the wheels and that is the same on both sides.

Maybe the carquest pads just suck, but they got tons of good reviews on the Ford Trucks forum.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd give it some time. It's not abnormal for new pads to stink. The Motorcraft pads we use sometimes stink like crazy. You'd swear they were on fire.....

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that calming feedback. They feel like they're working fine and they're leaving a nice even film of black dust on both wheels which seemed right to me.

98 ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New pads will stink for a few hundred miles, it that bed in layer that is wearing off.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone really do that "bedding in" process on the Rangers? When I read up on that I imaging the police officer asking, "So, why the hell were you repeatedly slamming on your brakes in the middle of a crowded highway?" (I live in San Jose so all highways are crowded...)

Any tips in general on braking in bakes? Should I just treat it like a regular, new car breakin?

They feel OK, not great. I feel I need to push harder on the pedal than I'm used to. Perhaps the pads just need to "mate" with the rotors to get a good friction surface which is what the bedding in is suppsed to be all about.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
> New pads and rotors should always be bedded-in...

I can't tell you how many times I've read that great site. Excerpt:

"a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set"
Note: You don't get to come to a complete stop during the bed-in or for 15 minutes after.

So, how does one really do this in a busy residential area without getting pulled over for driving erraticly? I could see if you have access to a track or some nice country roads.

Anyway, seems like bedding in improperly is potentially worse than not bedding in. But, I'll make my friend who's always arguing with me on this do the driving and let him get the ticked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals