• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger battery draining overnight

Monty35

Reaction score
This problem started a couple of weeks ago, and I havent yet been able to find the cause.

If I park the truck for ~8 hours or so, sometimes more sometimes less, the battery will completely drain. No visible signs of any accesories running, all lamps are off, stereo is off, fans are off. I can still hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to the on position.

I grabbed a voltmeter and went hunting, I checked all fuses under the dash, none are burnt, and my stereo socket was hot with nothing activated, so I ripped out my dash panel and checked the stereo, only the constant line is running and running at the same voltage as at the fuse block. (12.6v)

The only other issue I could find was at my alternator wiring, a connector on the driverside of my truck just before the firewall looked like this. The first picture is a shot of the Orange/Black wire, which normally fits where the gaping hole in the connector (3rd picture) is. The second is of the other two wires, Lt Green/Red and Yellow. Would this have anything to do with my battery drain? I obviouslly need a new connector now, as the current one has almost completely broke apart. Voltmeter showed the wires running as described in my Haines manual.
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8258/dsc0181sc3.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7966/dsc0188rm3.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3176/dsc0180yv2.jpg

Any suggestions on how to check into this further? I've been disconnecting my negative when not in use, but that's only temporary.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, get yourself a multi meter, set it on 200ma, now, hook one lead onto the negative termanel of the batt, and the other lead onto the ground wire. This is checking for somthing called parasitic draw. it should be less then 200 mili amps. This is ideal. all vehicles have a certin amount of parasitic draw, but the factory spec's out the battery to last for 30 days with said amount of draw. When your draw it too high, the batt dies sooner. A good cause for this is the regulator for the alternator goin for a krap. hook up the meter how i said, and if its high, then start pulling ONE fuse at a time untill the reading drops to a more acceptable reading, when it drops, look at what fuse it is, and what is all in the circuit.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the "blocking doide" that prevents current flow through the regulator with the engine off leaks, And YES, Diodes fail shorted all the time, current can flow into the alternator field at all times.

The easy check is does the alternator feel warm when the engine feels COLD like after sitting overnight?

Yes, the alternator connectors go bad all the time.

That's one of the reasons I used the 1994 alternator when converting to a 4.0.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals