• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic tranny slips in drive when cold

OldSchool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My grandpa gave me his 1983 Ranger 4x4 with a 2.8l engine, a C5 automatic tranny, and manual locking hubs.

When I fire the truck up in the morning it works fine in reverse but won't move in drive (sometime it will move an inch or two then stop moving). If I warm the truck up for 20 minutes, the truck drives great (I managed to drive the truck home 500K from my Grandpa's without any trouble).

It looks like the truck is leaking a little fluid down the passenger side of tranny.

* The fluid level is good.
* The fluid/filter were changed recently and my grandpa thinks the problem got a little worse after the change (it used to only take 10 minutes of warming up to drive).
* We tried adding the 1/2 Quart of Lucas Tranny additive (bringing the fluid level a little over max) and it seemed to help a little.
* I get the same results in 2H, 4H, and 2L
* I get the same results in D,2, and 1.
* I don't think the bands have ever been adjusted.
* The leak was noticed when the truck had sat for a week, the fluid level was normal and the lucas fluid hadn't been added yet.
* The leak was very small maybe 100ML landed on the tarp under the truck.

Any thoughts?

Is there a vacuum hose that needs pressure for the truck to go forwards but not backward? Maybe a hose that is only used when cold is leaking too much pressure...

Last edited:

OldSchool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I drained out some tranny fluid, added some transX. I've tried to drive the truck atleast 1h each time, I drive it. The tranny seems to be working a little better each day...

OldSchool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I drained out some tranny fluid, added some transX. I've tried to drive the truck at least 1h each time, I drive it. The tranny seems to be working a little better each day... Today, I was able drive forward it (with a fair bit of sliping) after a minute and the truck was running as per normal after 5 minutes. I'm going to try to do long warm-ups and long drives most days because I think the slipping may damage the fluid/other parts of the tranny...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals