• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

alternator swap question

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
I saw on this thread http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/130_amp_alternator_upgrade.shtml that i can put a 130 amp alt on my 86 bII 2.9 if i cut the white wire on the plug but i don't have a white wire, i have one plug with 2 black wiress and one plug with a yellow wire and a green wire side by side and a rubber nub where a wire could have gone and an opening on the plug portion. in the diagram on the thread it shows the yellow and green wires on opposite sides of the plug and the white in the middle.

can i modify my plug to make a 130amp alt work or should i just buy a factory replacement 65amp alt? I don't have time for trial and error because i start my new job repoing cars tommorow afternoon and i can't call in my first day.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you buy a 3G alternator then just wire it up as shown in diagram.

Your two Black wires sound like the B+ wires that go to the battery(starter relay post), so can be reused, but if you add more power draws to the vehicle you will want to change to a larger wire and fuse for those.

The Green wire in the diagram turns the alternator ON and OFF with the Key.
So unplug your connector and test which wire(yellow or green) ONLY has 12volts with key ON, and has NO volts with key off, should be YOUR green wire but if not which ever one it is will be the Green wire in the diagram.

Yes you may need to buy a connector for the 3G alternator, or get one at a wrecking yard, that has the Gray jumper wire

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
KISS, replace the alternator with the same for now. Buy the 130 amp after a few pay checks. :D

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why i didn't think to get the plug off the donor, been a long day between court and two interviews i guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals