• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone know if i can convert this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Interested to know how this all shakes down. Been thinking of buying a bead blaster to take care of the minor rust and get rid of the stupid camo paint that came with my ’92 Ranger. Turns out that the only compressor I have (a Bostich "pancake" one) doesn’t have the CFM balls to run a blaster. Not worth spending 6 bills for a new compressor that can handle the load, on top of the couple hundred it will cost for the ‘blaster from my job. Nothing’s ever easy or cheap. But I do see compressors like this around on yard sales from time-to-time...
I have about a grand in my shop air setup, which is close to industrial capacity, just for me. I would say it is worth it.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have about a grand in my shop air setup, which is close to industrial capacity, just for me. I would say it is worth it.
If I owned my own home and was sure that I would be able to keep/use it far into the future, I’d agree.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If I owned my own home and was sure that I would be able to keep/use it far into the future, I’d agree.
I can see not going nuts like that if you rent. My system has also been paid for mostly by paid work done out of that garage, so that helps in the equation.

Most of my side work money goes right back into the shop.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, I cant believe this thread is still going. I canned the idea of using that air compressor once I saw how easy a self tapping screw went in the metal. Metal is too far gone to repair. If I was to repair it, I was going to tap and new thread on it and put a drain cock on it. But the metal is shot. Can't use the motor anyway. So like I said previously I am just going to push it the back of the garage and use it for parts or a future project. And yes I am always hard up for cash. Jobs don't pay good around here unless you travel 1 hr+ one way. I have kids and bills and my projects come second to my kids and bills. Seems like when I do get money something breaks. Not to mention the long list of shit that already needs fixed or replaced. The gas motor would work but from what I read its not worth it. Motor would either run non stop or you would have to start it and shut it off when pressure builds up. My main concern was the motor. But I cant use the motor, cant use the tank. going to save it for later or sell it.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Damn, I cant believe this thread is still going. I canned the idea of using that air compressor once I saw how easy a self tapping screw went in the metal. Metal is too far gone to repair. If I was to repair it, I was going to tap and new thread on it and put a drain cock on it. But the metal is shot. Can't use the motor anyway. So like I said previously I am just going to push it the back of the garage and use it for parts or a future project. And yes I am always hard up for cash. Jobs don't pay good around here unless you travel 1 hr+ one way. I have kids and bills and my projects come second to my kids and bills. Seems like when I do get money something breaks. Not to mention the long list of shit that already needs fixed or replaced. The gas motor would work but from what I read its not worth it. Motor would either run non stop or you would have to start it and shut it off when pressure builds up. My main concern was the motor. But I cant use the motor, cant use the tank. going to save it for later or sell it.
Toss it! but if you save anything save the pressure switch & compressor depending on its size, it may be worth keeping if you can find another tank belt drive compressors seem to have more volume then the newer direct drive units. Chec some yards that have big old trucks, many of them have air tanks for the air brakes how do I know? LOL I used to belong to a yacht club that had one of those big old trucks twas always hissing, wheezing and coughing and sneezing and the air brakes of course made their own unique noises LOL

Last edited:

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe hang on to the motor as well. 12 Amps @ 220 roughly translates to 24-25 AM @ 110V. Which is a lot of amps for 110. If you end up ultimately selling the compressor, might as well have a matching motor to sell with it.

If you were using a Gas motor, you would pick up an unloader valve from Harbor freight or wherever. Lets the compressor run free (no backpressure) once tank pressure is reached.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Toss it! but if you save anything save the pressure switch & compressor depending on its size, it may be worth keeping if you can find another tank belt drive compressors seem to have more volume then the newer direct drive units. Chec some yards that have big old trucks, many of them have air tanks for the air brakes how do I know? LOL I used to belong to a yacht club that had one of those big old trucks twas always hissing, wheezing and coughing and sneezing and the air brakes of course made their own unique noises LOL

Phsssssssssshh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals